Logo

Deck

spook5365

"I am replacing the deck in my

"I am replacing the deck in my boat. I am doing the demolition and having pros do the new one. All seats, carpet, hardware, glue and screws are removed. How exactly do I detach the deck from hull where it is roughly glassed to the sides. This is a 1988 22' cuddy Cabin.
Thanks!"

The top portion is usually pop

The top portion is usually pop riveted to the bottom .Its hidden by the rub rail.Just be aware of the cabin components that might be glassed in place.

"There should be some inspecti

"There should be some inspection ports on the floor. Remove them and see if there is anything in the way. I cut the deck w/a battery powered circular saw w/a carbide rip blade. Set the depth for 1/2" and start in the center. Make criss/cross cuts about 18" apart. STAY 8" AWAY FROM THE PERIMETER so that you don't cut thru the hull!!! Remove the sections w/a prybar. I then finished the perimeter cut w/a a cutoff disk and a VS drill while I could see where the floor was glassed to the hull.

The floatation foam can be cut into blocks w/a sawzall and chipped out w/a a large wood chisel. If the fuel tank is a side fill w/the fill/vent hoses buried in the foam, replace the tank w/a rear fill. The hoses should be changed."

Cant explain how i mis-read th

Cant explain how i mis-read that. I thought you meant removing the top part of the boat not the floor portion.As above start with a circ saw set to 1/2 inch. cut inspection holes around the tank area.

"[b]"Cant explain how i mi

""Cant explain how i mis-read that."

Ayuh,....
rofl.gif
lol.gif
biggrin.gif
"

"look into a tool called a rot

"look into a tool called a rotozip also, big help when cutting stuff out."

Thanks guys. Yes its the floo

Thanks guys. Yes its the floor portion of deck outside cuddy. Tank is rear fill with hoses exposed. They are not original but I will probably replace anyway. I'll try the criss/cross cuts and maybe I'll stay 10" from hull! Dumb question maybe-the floatation foam becomes that ossified that you need a sawzall and chisel to remove it?

The floatation foam sticks to

The floatation foam sticks to everything and must be scraped off. Leave it in if it's not water logged.

Thank you Guy. I have heard t

Thank you Guy. I have heard that on pre 1995 boats (mine is an a 1988) the foam was mixed differently and does not absorb water like foam used in boats after 1995 when tighter EPA requirements dictated a change in composition. Have you heard/seen/had any experience with this?

I did my 1987 Baretta in early

I did my 1987 Baretta in early March and it was frozen blocks that I removed; just like a wet sponge.

"The foam in my 84 galaxy was

"The foam in my 84 galaxy was so water logged , I don't even know how it floated. Bet the boat is 300 pounds or more lighter now."

"I was surprised that there wa

"I was surprised that there was not that much flotation in the stern of 2 cuddies I saw being redone, most is in the bow, remove the starboard side bulkhead in the cabin, should be a bunch of screws, that should be able to let you see what your getting into.if its tight, stick you hand in with a camera and take some pics."

"I had the thought of laying d

"I had the thought of laying down some plastic before spraying in some new foam into mine. http://gallery.kainonmedia.com for pics. I'd like to find a better foam to replace with, the blue foam blocks are more expensive, and I dont trust the home depot stuff for flotability."

thanks.. yea best place and st

thanks.. yea best place and stuff I've found except for the DUPONT stuff(i think)

Back