Logo

454 74 litre engine

paul_rodgers

Regular Contributor
"I have a question for you guy

"I have a question for you guys, Can you replace a 454 PMI with a regular carb engine and what will need to be done?"

yes same block if the same ser

yes same block if the same series year wise.

You can buy a crate motor straight from gm if they have the same series.

What year a little more info. size boat drive?

I Have a 1998 454 7.4 litre Mp

I Have a 1998 454 7.4 litre Mpi the engine that I found but have not purchased is 1987 Carb Unit
was just wondering if it would work or would it be too much trouble?

"paul might be problems with t

"paul might be problems with the coupler?

Whats drive?

The 98 comes with mani's and risers might not match up to your exhaust?

The mpi uses electric fuel pumps, the carb could use a a mnaul fuel pump and probably does.

What does the new motor come with complete.

90 or 91 i don't remember, when the series changed"

"I’m the new owner of a 1993 S

"I’m the new owner of a 1993 Sea Ray Sundancer 270 with a 1993 GM 454 that has apparently been cracked. It has a Bravo III stern drive that I believe is fine. I live in St. Louis, Missouri and the boat will end up in Big Pine Key, Florida. It looks like I can get a rebuilt 454 long block, crated and shipped to me with a warranty, for under $3000. However, I can’t locate a Mercruiser service facility to swap out the old and the new and end up with a somewhat seamless warranty. (a guy on Big Pine offers to replace my 454 with a rebuilt 350 for about $10k; a facility in Hollywood, FL will do the labor for $1100 but doesn’t have a rebuilt 454) ....so, I’m going to at least remove the old one myself to make sure I buy the right replacement and maybe just do the swap myself.
Here’s my question: Where can I find a diagram or instructions for efficiently and correctly disconnecting the motor from the stern drive in order to lift out the motor? I don’t want to just start unbolting stuff and make a mess out of it.
Thank you, Newboatbob"

"First I would start a new pos

"First I would start a new post so more people will see and be able to advise. But it's not that hard, 1. Remove out drive 2. disconnect the wiring and fuel and batteries. and you should be able to get it out. There is a guy in Ocean Springs, Ms. That has a complete drop in engine for 1500.00 1987 models left and right rotation.
All that labor sounds a little expensive to me but just my 2cents."

"Hi Bob,... Welcome Aboard,..

"Hi Bob,... Welcome Aboard,...
You should probably start your own thread, rather than Hy-jacking Paul's...
If you wander over to iboatscom to the I/O forum, there's the factory manuals posted in the Adults Only section...."

Thanks guys for the imput. I t

Thanks guys for the imput. I think that I could make it work but it might be alot of trouble that I am not willing to do. I will just opt for a 454 MPI engine. No hurry seasons over.

Back