Logo

More starter cord woes

bookworm

"In a previous post I describe

"In a previous post I described how my starter cord broke when it improperly retracted back inside the engine and lodged against a hot engine part and melted through. I brought the engine back to the dealer who replaced the starter cord.

The engine was fine until last week when I pulled the cord to start the engine out on the water and the handle pulled away from the cord and the cord disappeared inside the engine. I thought: WHAT THE HELL!!!??? Back home, I found a diagram for the starter cord and saw that a knot should have been tied in the cord inside the handle to keep it from pulling through the hole in the handle. Well, someone forgot to tie that knot. So I pulled apart the handle and tied the knot. By hand, I retracted the starter cord around the fly wheel by turning the spring-loaded device up inside the engine. I removed the spark plug (since I was in my back yard and didn't want the engine to actually start) and pulled the cord to test it. Well, it only retracted partially back inside the engine. I retracted it fully several times right up to the handle. But each time I pull on it, I'm left with about two feet of starter cord outside the engine. What do I need to do to get it to properly retract all the way around the fly wheel?"

Looking at the white plastic r

Looking at the white plastic reel you should see a notch in it. You put the starter rope in the notch and then turn the reel which coils the starter spring. I would suggest you let the dealer who goofed it up do it. Anytime a tech has to correct their own mistake it makes them more careful for future repairs.

"Thanks, I'll fool around

"Thanks, I'll fool around with it some but probably take your advice and bring it back to the guy who supposedly fixed it."

"I brought my engine back to t

"I brought my engine back to the dealer. He said he definitely did tie a knot to at the end of the cord inside the handle; in fact, had used a small blowtorch to fuse the knot. However, he must have overdone it a bit. In any case, he and his assistant had to take the spring out and re-tighten it. Not a hard job but not one I would have wanted to do myself"

Back