Logo

Transmissionsand propellers

"Hello,
I have an 80 model

"Hello,
I have an 80 model chris craft 31 footer that originally had small blocks and paragon transmissions.I replaced the small blocks with 454 crusaders and reused the transmissions and the 15x17 three blade props.I can tell the transmissions are tired,one leaks fluid and sounds pretty bad in reverse.the other one turns while in neutral and also sounds bad in reverse.I know the props are way too small and plan on re propping the boat.I alredy have a set of 18x21's i want to try but i know they are only gonna be even harder on the transmissions.My question is would i be better off buying a good used set of velvet drives than putting any money in the paragons.and second,what ratio do you think the paragons may be.I know they are reduction gears but the data tags were gone. thanks"

I would bet that a 1.5:1 ratio

I would bet that a 1.5:1 ratio would do it. Nice boats! Was looking at one myself years ago.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply jeff.What

Thanks for the reply jeff.What is your opinion on the paragon transmissions?Do you think they will hold up behind the big blocks or would i be better off finding a good used set of borg warner gears?

A better choice is to find B &

A better choice is to find B & W Velvet Drive model for that higher hp.

That thing must go like a raped ape with big blocks! The one I was looking at had only 305s in it.

Jeff

The boat is way underpropped r

The boat is way underpropped right now so i mostly just putt around.It wont stay on plane at anything below about 3700 rpm.every once and a while I plane her off and let it eat for a bit just to keep the carbon build up from all the low rpm use to a minimum but I am skeptical of my transmissions so i try not to push em too hard. thanks for the advice

"Tell you what, get that sucke

"Tell you what, get that sucker straightened out and I'll come by for a ride! And I'll even pay for the gas!

Jeff"

"awesome,if you could go ahead

"awesome,if you could go ahead and send the gas money now that would be great,that way we lock it in at todays prices,you never know when it will go up.Tell you what,if you are an ever in the houston area let me know and we'll go for a ride and you wont need any gas money."

Back