Logo

Surging at WOT

mainliner61

Contributing Member
"I have a 225 vmax Series 2. I

"I have a 225 vmax Series 2. It run smooth at any rpm exept wide open then it surges and won't get over 5700.Sometimes it runs great and allows 6000 rpm. Rev limiter is 6200.Seems like it does worse when I hold it under 5000 for very long before I open up.This morning it ran great,74gps,this afternoon it started that crap when I needed it most and could only get 68. Any ideas?"

"Look for any fuel restriction

"Look for any fuel restriction, i would put a vacume gauge in the fuel line (between engine and tank) and check what vacume you have"

Thanks for the info. I noticed

Thanks for the info. I noticed today when I put gas in it that one tank held 4 more gallons than the other.They are suppose to drain equally.Bet it is a restiction.Plugs are new but that is still possible. I'll check them first

My Yamaha Vmax is turning 6100

My Yamaha Vmax is turning 6100rpm in the cooler water temps with a 25p Yamaha t1 prop.If I put a 26p on it would it give me more speed or just drop rpm's?

Thanks Jamie and just-in-time

Thanks Jamie and just-in-time for all the help. This is my first Yamaha.I've had 2 Mercurys and so far the yami is much better.The surging problem must have been a restriction that it passed on its own.It finally stopped and hasn't done it since. Thanks again!

Yamaha dont make a 26p but a 2

Yamaha dont make a 26p but a 27p they do. I think the 27 would kill my hole shot. Would a Tempest 26 or Fury 26 be good? What prop do You suggest? Thanks

Back