Logo

Motor seems loud 1989 200 hp

red314

"I have a 1989 200hp mariner

The motor seems loud is their a way to make it quieter?

It can be a pain talking to my fishing partner when driving the boat. (dont want to talk to loud and give our spot away)
wink.gif

Randy"

Sure. Trade it in on a (g

Sure. Trade it in on a (gasp!) four stroke. That's the only good thing I'll say about them.

Jeff

My cowl seems to be insulated

My cowl seems to be insulated so I guess I will just deal with it. I thought their might be a muffler upgrade for it.

I would love a 4 stroke but on a 1989 boat I cant see spending the money on that upgrade. If I can get a blown up 200hp 4 stroke cheep I would do it. (good winter project)

"From my experience with 2 str

"From my experience with 2 strokes, most of the noise is actually induction, not exhaust. Don't know if you could silence the air intake a bit? Maybe some filter material? Better ask one of the more experienced outboard men first though - Most of my 2 stroke experience is with go-karts, not outboards...I'd hate to give you a bum steer!"

"Friends have not taken the Oa

"Friends have not taken the Oath of Hipocrates, DON'T share secrets with him when you get a quiet motor.. Your wife will surely find out! A shrink is cheaper & safer option!

On a more serious note, if you restrict the air intake, the combustible fuel : air ratio will be affected in that the mixture will be more rich. This will bog motor down and all the other related pitfalls that go with that. Remember, outboards have been designed to run sans air filters. You'll tip the delicate balance by installing a filter of sorts to muffle the rumble. Not to mention loss of ponies.

So, in a nutshell:
1. Keep noisy kit, share secrets and hang on to the missus.
2. Ditch noisy kit and find a shrink to keep missus.

As I see it, it's a cheaper option all round to stick with what you have...
rofl.gif

So, that's my bit for today. I'll be back tomorrow, same place, same time!

Good luck with the fishing!"

Back