Logo

Flush coolant system

dsiegfried

I have a freshwater cooled 200

I have a freshwater cooled 2002 18HP VP (it's an '89). What's the process of flushing the system to put new Antifreeze in it? It hasn't been flushed since 1999. I need to add coolant and I'm concerned about mixing different types of antifreeze.

"One more thing, I tried to dr

"One more thing, I tried to drain the coolant using the drain plug in the starboard side of the engine. I had the plug nearly out and nothing came out. Does this plug/nipple have to be removed for drainage to occur?"

did you open fill cap to give

did you open fill cap to give a vent and volvo has it's own anti freeze 50/50

I did remove the expansion tan

I did remove the expansion tank cap so it should have been vented. Anybody have a suggestion for how to drain and change the coolant?

"I think if you're at the

"I think if you're at the point where you need to run a wire through the drain to get anything out, you should flush the system as best you can before refilling it. Draining it and filling it with clean water, then running the engine would be one way. Do this a couple times.

Volvo does indeed have its own brand of antifreeze and they would like you to use it. You'll have to go to a Volvo dealer to get it and you should be sitting down when you ask the price. Close to $30.00 per gallon!

You might as well use distilled water to dilute it to 50-50 for use."

"Wowee! I do not know anyone w

"Wowee! I do not know anyone who uses Volvo antifreeze, but that does not make it "right". Zerox or another good brand will safely do the job. Anti freeze should be replaced every five years, or according to specifications to preserve the anti-rust, water pump lubrication qualities. Hope this is helpful."

"As I recall, Volvo calls for

"As I recall, Volvo calls for the antifreeze to be changed every two years. I used Volvo brand because that's what the previous owner had been using and there's no chance of any incompatibility. I suppose if the cooling system was completely flushed, anothe brand would do but there's some sort of issue with different metals in the cooling system. There's a paper on it but it's on the boat and I am not.

$90.00 is expensive, but remember, it's a boat. A diesel boat. A Volvo diesel boat.
wink.gif
"

"I refuse to use Volvo's r

"I refuse to use Volvo's recommended coolant because I've had corrosion take place within the heat exchanger and within the water pump housing which are both alloy. BMW and Mercedes motor vehicles use a red coolant which is non corrosive to aluminium and half the price. Since using the red coolant I've had no further problems. If you start to have overheating problems you'll need to remove the heat exchanger and thoroughly clean, just flushing with clean water will not do the job"

Back