Logo

Engine replacement

"Hi Everyone,

I recently

"Hi Everyone,

I recently posted about having a cracked block. I decided that the best route to take would be a Long block. It arrived this past Friday. I'm looking for some pointers on the installation. I have a Clymer Shop Manual.

I would like to leave the Stern Drive on, and pull it that way. A previous post said to mark the position of the engine before pulling it. I don't quite understand the alignment process in the Manual if you pull the Drive. I'm trying to avoid this.

Also, the other thing that I'm not sure about is applying the extra silicone etc. in the Gasket kit instructions. Any tips about this? I'm thinking that I should just apply a bead of RTV silicone to every gasket. Which surface do you apply the silicone too?

By the way, for those that remember my previous post. I would have had to remove the Engine for the guy to weld it. The cost was going to be 350.00. I decided that if I have to remove the Engine that I might as well replace it.

Thanks, Skip"

"Skip, pull the drive. its not

"Skip, pull the drive. its not hard and will make the job go much easier. reason for indexing engine is to align the spline to the drive. silicon is for front, and rear of intake manifold. DON'T use it anywhere else.You will need to check alignment after installing engine (another reason to pull drive) this is essential, as bad alignment will damage gimbal bearing, and coupler. You don't want to have to pull the engine again. good luck with Your project, and if You need help, ASK. don't take expensive chances. S."

"Thanks Scott for the informat

"Thanks Scott for the information. I'm definitely going to pull the drive. I'll be picking up one of those alignment tools. Thanks again, Skip"

"Skip,
I agree on pulling the

"Skip,
I agree on pulling the drive for the reasons given. On another note.
If you can not get access to the distributor hole after the engine is installed it is best that you install the oil filter and fill the engine with oil then run the oil pump with a drill until oil is coming from all the valve rockers. This way the engine will have oil pressure as soon as it starts. Other wise the bearings can be damaged from lack of oil on start up.
Good luck with the project."

"Charli,

A friend and I r

"Charli,

A friend and I removed the engine and drive yesterday. It's going to be a slow process to get the new engine back in.

I really do not understand the procedure that you are recommending. I will ask more about that when the time comes. I figure that there will be many bridges to cross before I reach that one.

Thanks, Skip"

"I know this is going to sound

"I know this is going to sound silly, but being new to boating I want to be sure....
I'm pulling the 470 from my boat as the engine is damaged. I understand I need to remoce the stern drive.
I assume this means completly physically removing the drive from the transom back... Just want to be sure.
Thanks..."

"Ron,.....
It means removing

"Ron,.....
It means removing the 6 nuts on the Drive,+ the 2 on the Trim rams,+ Sliding the complete Outdrive Off the boat.......
The Transom Shield/ Gimbel Housing Stays on the boat......."

I've pulled my 470 several

I've pulled my 470 several times to patch it and keep it running through the summer. I'm gonna pull it again this winter to do a total rebuild on it. To pull the engine you have to remove the stern drive which is not hard at all. I have pulled the engine enough times that it only takes me about 1 1/2 hours from start to finish to get it out and in my shop. Parts are expensive for this beast and I'm going to bite the bullet and do it right this winter.

Back