Logo

Replacement for mercruiser 37

kiwi55

"I have a 16' bow rider &#

"I have a 16' bow rider (VIP) with a damaged 3.7 4 cylinder mercruiser (470). I'm looking for options on replacing (or rebuilding) the engine. Obviously another 3.7 would work, I'd need a new block and pistons (or short block) if I rebuild. What are my other options? I'm not that worried about performance, something reliable that will pull a kid on a tube would be fine.

On e-bay I've seen:
1. Mercruiser 140hp 4cyl (guessing it's GM)
2. Mercruiser 3.0ltr 4cyl
3. MERCRUISER, OMC, Chevrolet 2.5, 3.0 MARINE ENGINE (same as 2 above?)
4. Mercruiser 4.3ltr V6 (GM)
5. Are there other options?

Something that would drop right in would be perfect. All the accessories for the 3.7 are there and look OK. I don't mind minor modifications (engine mounts etc) but don’t want to reinvent everything.

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

...Paul"

"i would go find yourself a sh

"i would go find yourself a short block or even a long block Mercruiser 470 3.7l, bolt it up and be done. If you change engines, you'll be buying mounts, engine coupler, starter/alternators, accy drive parts, hoses, manifolds, etc etc."

"Ron,
I agree with Mr hays on

"Ron,
I agree with Mr hays on this. The 470 is a breed all its own. The amount of parts needed for installing another model will cost a small fortune. Unless you found a complete engine package including the bell housing forward from another boat for a good price. You may even need to change the input shaft on the drive depending on what you buy.
As far as finding another 4 banger, Merc used other brands besides GM so be careful."

""As far as finding anothe

""As far as finding another 4 banger, Merc used other brands besides GM so be careful."

Ayuh,.... The 1 this thread is about,.... The Merc. 470......

Any,+ All the other 4cyl. motors used by Mercruiser were/ are GMs.......
'Course,.. That would be the 2.5l,+ the 3.0l......
Unless you want to include the 4cyl. 80hp. Renault that was used for a couple of years back in the Early 60s......

And,... As stated above,...
Nothing will Fit into your boat Except the 470,....
Without a Major Refit........"

"I have a mercruiser 3.7 4 cyl

"I have a mercruiser 3.7 4 cyl. it starting smoking with a white smoke smelling like plastic, the smoke is coming from a leak of a really thick fluid.It is not oil. any clues?"

Back