Logo

1981 OMC 800 shifting problems

scheetzu

"I just purchased a 1981 Sunra

"I just purchased a 1981 Sunray bowrider with a v6 chevy, OMC800 outdrive.
Engine runs great, however, when shifting from neutral to FWD or Reverse the outdrive makes a weird sound, it goes in gear but it always makes a weird sound (kind a like a grinding sound, like shifting without a clutch).} Is that normal?
By the way, I haven't tested it in the water yet.
This sound is when I shifted it out of the water.

Anyone has an answer for me?"

What is your RPM when it goes

What is your RPM when it goes into gear? I would get the lowest idle RPM possible. Maybe about 600.

Unfortunately it is shifting without a clutch. My boat has more of a clunk when it goes into gear. Does it grind for both forward and back? Once it is in gear does it stay and run ok?

"Greenly, thanks for the reply

"Greenly, thanks for the reply. I never really ran it in water yet since i just purchased the boat.
I started the engine let it idle for 1 minute and than shifted it in FWD and reverse, it made it grinding noise for about 2 seconds and than went in gear. Is that normal? Does that change below the waterline?
Excuse me for being ignorant, I just want to know if I have a problem child or not.

Thanks,
Robert"

"How quickly are you shifting?

"How quickly are you shifting? One of the things that OMC's don't like is a slow shift, as this is new to you possibly you are shifting too slow causing the dog clutch to drag before it fully engages. You may want to try it again shifting quickly and hopefully you just get the normal clunk, if not you may have other problems like a stretched or mal adjusted lower shift cable or worn dog clutch and gears?"

"Yes, since I'm new and ig

"Yes, since I'm new and ignorant, I shifted slow from neutral to FWD and from neutral to REV. So it has to be done faster?"

"Yes it should be a quick deci

"Yes it should be a quick decisive shift. By the way after reading your posts again you mention you haven't run it in the water yet. I have to ask then are you running it on a trailer and do you have a garden hose attached to feed it cooling water? Also if you are running/shifting on a trailer as a safety precaution did you remove the prop...don't want your next post to ask about finger re-attachment
wink.gif
"

Back