Logo

Max horsepower for boat

J

John Carrol

I have a 1991 18' Bayliner

I have a 1991 18' Bayliner Capri with a 90 HP Force O/B. I'd like to switch to a higher output motor. The placard inside my boat lists the maximum power rating at 90 HP. I've seen smaller boats with higher horse power engines. Why is my boat limited to 90 HP? What happens if I exceed this rating?

"That's what the manufactu

"That's what the manufacturer through testing felt the boat was capable of safely handling. I would not put a larger engine on that Bayliner, as they are not known for their transom strength when new. If you overpower and have an accident, it could lead to legal problems due to negligence on your part by overpowering. The best way to increase your power is to buy an engine that is not a Force. They also were underpowered to begin with. A 90 HP Evinrude/Johnson of the same year will run circles around it and the newer ones will eat them alive..."

"Something I never hear boatie

"Something I never hear boaties talk about is torque...I would imagine, although the older motors might have the same peak power output, newer would have far more torque therefore be able to handle a higher pitch prop??"

"um, no power is not linear wi

"um, no power is not linear with torque, rather they are separate measurements of capability. As such a 200kw 4 cylinder turbo will not pull a 2 ton boat like a 200kw V8 will."

Back