Logo

Crusader Transmission noise

clinton

"A new noise - great!
10m Tro

"A new noise - great!
10m Trojan Express with twin 454 Crusaders, the boat had a noise coming from the port shaft when drive (forward and reverse) was engaged - as I am restoring the boat I decided to replace the both shafts (had pitting) the cutlass bearings and the couplings on the gearboxes. The gearboxes are the original "crusader" boxes (sorry i know they are probably called ZF or twin disc but not sure what they are)Both gearboxes have fluid up to the correct level on the dipstick. After a test on the weekend the noise is still there - it gets louder as rpm increase and just to top things off the sound travel up the gear cable and can be heard loud and clear "through" the shifter on the dash! - very annoying - its a whirring sounding andthe closest thing i could use to describe it is like someone using a low speed drill (its not a high pitched or "metal on metal" sound)
Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated

cheers

Clinton"

"If it does this above idle, I

"If it does this above idle, I suspect the spring cushioned hub inside the flywheel is shot. If so, the tranny will have to come out. Sorry.

But if it does it only at idle--and the noise goes away above idle--look for a crummy idle. Seriously. A marine engine doesn't rock about on its mounts with a crummy idle like a car engine, and this can trick you. I've had to resort to a vacuum gage to get my engine to idle properly, though it SEEMED to be idling nice and smooth.

Jeff"

Thanks Jeff - I will try tonig

Thanks Jeff - I will try tonight - my guess is it is not a low idle - but will try anyway. I am not one to let problems go unfixed but coming into a hot summer here and getting work done on boats now is not possible - ie if the gearbox was pulled out today it would be next year before I came close to getting anyone to look at it (too busy). Will occasion use damage the box further?

In answer to both - hot - I li

In answer to both - hot - I live in Fremantle Western Australia - it gets to 40 degrees celsius on a regulare basis here during summer!
The alignement should be good because both shafts are new and so are the gearbox couplings - all was fitted by a mechanic whom I have used for a long time and is very professional.
I was at the marina last night and noted something interesting - the noise is significantly louder in reverse than forward - also the shaft seal is not dripping very often (once every 20 seconds under load) - my mechanic is away but i might get him to check out the shaft seals? (they are new) as they may not be set up right?

"Could be, but that's not

"Could be, but that's not causing the noise. I suspect it's the coupler springs.

Jeff"

"Clinton. You should have Borg

"Clinton. You should have Borg Warner Velvet Drive Transmissions. They are known to have a whirring sound as you describe, although the more gear reduction you have the louder it will be. I have 3 to 1 reduction in my 11 meter and the whirring sound is very loud in reverse and obvious in forward."

Back