Logo

Mercruiser Trim Senders

wellcraftnova230

Contributing Member
"Hello All,
I recently se

"Hello All,
I recently serviced the entire transom on my boat (bellows, gimbal, trim senders) and everything works but the senders. I had someone turn the guage a little bit and I turned the ignition to see if the guage would change so I could zero it up in the down position, and the guage did not move. Is there something special about these guages that I should be aware of? I am connecting one end to a ground and the other end to a brow/white wire that goes to the guage. Any suggestions? Also, my trim function will not work even when I hot wire the motor, but the tilt in the up and down direction works fine. Thanks Jon"

both trim sender wires should

both trim sender wires should connect to harness. trim limit (Port side)controls trim function. re-check Your connections and limit switch indexing.

"Scott's right. Here is m

"Scott's right. Here is my response to a recent post about trim gauge senders...

"From memory... There are two round guys (size of a small hockey puck) on the side of the (assumed) gen 2 drive. Looking forward, the one on the left is an adjustable limit switch and the one on the right drives the trim position gauge (also adjustable). There are o-rings, grease and simple electrical contacts in there that get boogered up. Next time it is out of the water, get your test light out and see what's what. Wiring diagram is helpful."

The trim might not work when you send hot to the motor because the trim limit switch may be on the ground side. You need a wiring diagram. It’s a pretty simple circuit though.

It your post you say: "I had someone turn the gauge a little bit" ... do you mean, "turn the sensor on the drive"? The sensor (on the stbd side of the drive) is a simple potentiometer with contacts that drive the gauge. You would be able to loosen 2 screws and turn the sensor to center the gauge on zero with trim down. If you are not getting movement on the gauge, (verify with wiring diagram first that sensor is on the ground side) and try grounding the wire that goes to the gauge. The needle on the gauge should peg one way or the other (can’t remember which way).

You may need a replacement sensor switch. Take it apart and cleaning it up may make it function again though."

Back