Logo

27b Four Winns Pulls HARD to the left

mt5425

"Have a 27' Four Winns Cab

"Have a 27' Four Winns Cabin Cruiser that pulls hard to the left at all speeds. Extremely hard at high speed. Boat has power steering, but not yet hooked up. I kinda figure it shouldn't pull either way, power steering or not. Any ideas??"

"The power steering not being

"The power steering not being hooked up has everything to do with why they started using it in the first place. There was too much steering input. There's a horizontal and vertical component to the rotation, if you will. The water pushes back in the opposite direction of the propshaft rotation and this causes the drive to move sideways (horizontal) and thrust causes the boat to move (vertical). Call it X and Y if you want.

The trim tab will do nothing at high speeds."

"..."The trim tab will do

"..."The trim tab will do nothing at high speeds."

Not if one adjusts it for THAT speed (and, if so, it will work against you at lower speeds). Trim tabs only work for a very limited speed range.

If you're a cruising dude, like me, that's not a problem, but if you run a wide variety of speeds, power sterering and/ or the self-correcting steering setups are the way to go.

Jeff"

"Trim tabs help most at low sp

"Trim tabs help most at low speeds, when a lot of boats wallow and the steering is really vague. When there is a little input from the drive or rudder, it's a lot easier to keep it on a straight line."

"I meant the trim tab on the l

"I meant the trim tab on the lower unit, that swings it to one side (if you want it to).

Sorry for the confusion.

Jeff"

"Sorry if you thought I meant

"Sorry if you thought I meant the hull-mounted tabs (Bennett, etc). The drive itself acts as the rudder at speeds higher than idle or just above but the one just above the prop, which is the one I was calling a trim tab (it's actually an anode that serves a dual function) and have seen it called a trim tab in many catalogs, even if it was erroneous. As long as we agree that it's only good for low speeds, I'm fine with that.

The hull-mounted tabs can really screw things up at low speeds- it's counter-intuitive for some people, like backing up with a trailer."

"The outdrive mounted trim tab

"The outdrive mounted trim tab will work at any speed if it's adjusted for THAT speed. Above or below that speed, however, it will work against you.

My old Bayliner (single V-P drive) was hands off the wheel at cruising speed.

Jeff"

"OK, so whats the verdict on g

"OK, so whats the verdict on getting this thing to straighten out? Trim tab? No trim tab? Even the guy at the marine store says the trim is the problem, and power steering has nothing to do with it (a luxury item). I'm still stuck here. I got a bent boat
(kidding)"

Adjust the outdrive trim tab a

Adjust the outdrive trim tab a little at a time until the boat goes straight at your favorite running speed.

Jeff

""OK, so whats the verdict

""OK, so whats the verdict on getting this thing to straighten out? Trim tab? No trim tab? Even the guy at the marine store says the trim is the problem, and power steering has nothing to do with it (a luxury item). I'm still stuck here. I got a bent boat (kidding)"

So did you Adjust the Torque Tab on the Outdrive,..??....
Did you Hook-up the P/Steering,..??....

As Stated,.. The P/Steering Isn't "(a luxury item)"...
It's to Control the Feedback that you're experincing Now......."

Back