Logo

GMCDetroit are they the same

R

Robert Hedgepath

I have a Hatteras 34-0C with a

I have a Hatteras 34-0C with a pair of 1988 8 cylinder deisels. The valve covers have GMC stamped in the top. A local told me these are the engines knowm as the 8V-71s. Is this correct and how do I confirm the engine models. The engines are hard to get to and so far I can not find any data plate.

"they more then likey are 8v71

"they more then likey are 8v71, but a picture whould help to make sure."

"Thanks, is it safe to assume

"Thanks, is it safe to assume they might be DD? If so, any advice on rebuilding vs new power. The engines run fine, start easily and smooth however, they are noisy do smoke at start up and seem to have an accesive amount of exhuast steam.
If you are asking, why dont I consult with a local mechanic, I have, fact is, so far the ones that I have discused the isue with all seem to have the same common answer, "you need to repower with new engines" and I dont like that answer.
Thanks for any advice that you can offer."

"still whould like a picture,t

"still whould like a picture,to tell if they are dd,there is no reson not to rebuild eng,s if needed. if smoke go,s away when eng,s wormed up and if not useing a lot of oil or leaking a lot then they are probley ok.
you do know dda two cyl engines are not sold new anymore,this mit be why they say to go new, however parts will be around for a very long time."

I'll get photos out to you

I'll get photos out to you tomorrow. Just what does the 2 cycl mean and should I be worried about it for future sale?
No the engines are not burning oil or coolant. The blue smoking stops once the engines warm up and the steam dissapates very rapidly.
Thanks again.

"two cycle principie- in the t

"two cycle principie- in the two- cycle engine intake and exhaust take place during part of the compression and power strokes repectively. in contrast a four-cycle engine requires four piston strokes to complete an operating cycle,thus during one hafe of its operation, the four-cycle engine functions merely as an air pump.
you should not have a seals problem."

""The blue smoking stops o

""The blue smoking stops once the engines warm up and the steam dissapates very rapidly."

Until a DD gets to working temperatures ,140F , many will smoke .

This is normal. These engines are efficient enough that they will NOT warm up at idle , only loaded,underway.

To get longest life , and least oil contamination, idle them for only a minuet , then get underway at 800 rpm , till the water is 140f, then 1200, till the water is 180f.

Be sure the engine ONLY has CF-2 rated oil of 40wt.
Any other is destructive to the engine and will shorten its life considerably!!!

Shell Rotella T 40 or Delvac 40 ONLY.

FAST FRED"

"Engines?<[img]"http://www.mar

"Engines?
33343.jpg
33344.jpg
33345.jpg
33346.jpg
33347.jpg
"

from what i can see of the val

from what i can see of the valve cover these are NOT DD 8V71 ENGINE. they mit be the 8.2 liter engine but i cant be sure. you need to find someone in your area to come look to be sure.

Back