Logo

UNABLE TO START MOTORS THIS SHOULD BE TOO EASY

jjstauf

"I have 1994 Silverton 312 Sed

"I have 1994 Silverton 312 Sedan Cruiser.I appear to be chasing an electrical problem possibly dealing with the red/hot wire that goes from the
battery to the starter. It seems like the starter is not getting enough power to crank over the motor. Whenever you try to start it from up on the bridge, each motor, (5.0L) makes a clicking sound like the batteries are weak. During the summer, I noticed this on several occasions, but eventually the motors turned over. I had my batteries checked and they are good. Now each motor will not start. I have checked every ground and also reground the motors in trying to start them. I even ran power directly to the starters on each motor, and
they did the same thing. When I did this I only had the key on, went up to the bridge, and still noticed the same clicking sound like it is a bad battery or bad starter I just can't imagine both starters going bad at exactly the same time, but stranger things could happen It appears the the red/hot wire is not throwing out enough power to start the motors. I have checked for possible shorts in every place I can imagine, but have been unable to find one. I have not searched anywhere upon the bridge. What does concern me though is the possibility that the para-start on the dash
panel could possibly be an issue. Earlier in the year when I would try and use it, I noticed it possibly was not functioning properly. Is there some type of solenoid or relay that it goes to either where the battery switches are under the cabin steps, or somewhere near the batteries? I just had the batteries re-tested yesterday and they appear to be fine again. Any other imput in trouble shooting this issue what would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

John Staufenger"

"If you had a short in those w

"If you had a short in those wires, you would see smoke and/or fire. More likely, your starters haven't been maintained properly and the Bendix is partially frozen from rust. they're supposed to be removed and lubed annually. By continuing to crank them, you have toasted the solenoids, compounding the problem."

"They are Trojan batteries. T

"They are Trojan batteries. This was my third season using them. Even though these are still testing good, could this still be an issue? Thanks.

From First Responded Post: I am going to get the solenoids this afternoon and take heed to your advice. My gut instinct has been telling me all along that it is a starter/solenoid issue, but I did not want to go with it due to the fact I could not accept the thought of them both going bad at exactley the same time. Thank you.

John Staufenger"

Back