Logo

Winterizing a Ford 302 or 351

mrtmaag

Contributing Member
"Thanks for the previous help,

"Thanks for the previous help, I still am trying to figure out if it is a 302 or 351. The main question I have is, where it does not have a closed cooling system, do I need to refill the engine with antifreeze after I drain the block and manifold and remove the lower hose on the water pump, or is just draining the water out sufficient. I realize I need to fog the cylinders, and change the oil in both the engine and the drive unit, as well as lubricate everything. I have heard advice suggesting you don't need to refill with antifreeze. I am looking for advice."

"Troy
If you refill the block

"Troy
If you refill the block with 100 below anti freeze, any pockets of water that did not drain would be taken care of. This is one way to look at it. Many people might say don't refill. But they don't take in to account that not all engines sit so the drains work well. Some engines sit nose down away from the block drains. Just had a friend ignore my advice, he had a nose down engine, thought the drains would do it. First freeze he popped a freeze plug. He's hoping it will be Ok and it may. But if there was water up around the valves and valley area he needs a new engine. Every year I do at least one freeze out replacment."

"Thank you for the advice, I w

"Thank you for the advice, I will definitely fill the engine with RV antifreeze. I don't want to risk it."

"Troy,

Why don't you p

"Troy,

Why don't you pull the distributor? As I explained "An easy way to tell if you have a 302 or 351 is to pull the distributor. The 351 distributer pump rod hole is a 5/16 allen size. Yes you can fit the 5/16 allen wrench in the 351 distributor but not the 302." Mystery solved. Mercruiser made a 233Hp with a 351."

"Hey Poopiepantz, I tried pull

"Hey Poopiepantz, I tried pulling the distributer but everything looked much bigger than 5/16. What exact part should I pull. I tried unbolting the entire distributer and it was a large hole with a big gear at the end. I pulled the distributer cap off and pulled the distibuter rotor off and nothing under there. I must be confused. I really appreciate the help. I am suspecting this is a High Output 302 rated at 235 hp"

"Hi Troy,

I'm uncl

"Hi Troy,

I'm unclear whether you have the distributor removed from the engine or not. It needs to be removed completly so you can look at the end where the shaft drives the oil pump. This is the oposite end from the cap/rotor. There is a hex shaped hole (about an inch deep)in the shaft. If a 5/16 allen wrench fits into the shaft hex shaped hole then you have a 351. If the allen wrench doesn't fit at all (Allen wrench is too big for the hole) then you have a 302. I believe a 1/4 inch allen wrench fits the 302 but not sure. A 302 shaft and hex drive is definately smaller than the 351. If you are having trouble removing the distributor because of corrosion don't pry up on it. Remove the bolt and hold down clamp, soak the block hole with penetrating oil where the distributor goes into the block and rotate gently left and right(Like you are adjusting the timing) till free. You may need to let the penetrating oil sit awhile. Good luck."

"Thank you again for the instr

"Thank you again for the instructions. I did pull it all the way out, but I did not flip it over to insert the allen wrench in the end of the shaft. I understand now and will try it. Thank you for the clear instructions. I will get back to you"

I pulled the distributer and a

I pulled the distributer and a 5/16" allen wrench fits perfectly into it. It must be a 351 then. Thank you for the help.

Way to go Troy! It's a 35

Way to go Troy! It's a 351 alright. Great motor. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Back