Logo

Water leak in lower unit

bryan

"Hi Everyone! Got a used '

"Hi Everyone! Got a used '04 Bayliner with Alpha one 3.0. Hour meter reads 26. Everthing fine but noticed milky gear oil when draining. Thought it might be a loose drain/fill plug so I refilled with fresh gear oil and took it out for a day. Came back and checked, milky oil again. Water must be leaking in but where? Repair manual coming shortly but wanted to get an idea on which area or seal should I check and replace first. Thx!<font color=""000000""><font face=""arial,helvetica""></font></font>}"

remove your prop and see if th

remove your prop and see if there's any fishing line wrapped around the shaft and into the oil seals. Very common place. Another one is the plug seal where the oil drains out/goes in when filling.

"Bryan, Water will leak into a

"Bryan, Water will leak into an Alpha via the waterpump base seal, driveshaft seal (inside the waterpump base), the drain and fill screws or the propshaft seals. Let's start small and cheap. Do the drain and fill plugs have gaskets? If not, add them. If it still leaks, buy a waterpump base and an impeller repair kit ($60), and install them (use a manual). This usually gets the leaks, unless as Jim says, fishing line got your prop seal. If you do not see the gear lube leaking around the prop, you may be OK there."

Good call chris. The genII dr

Good call chris. The genII drives are prone to leaks in the water pump lower housing. If it is creating milk that fast it is ("probably") the lower housing.

The gaskets were intacted with

The gaskets were intacted with the drain and fill screws. I have removed the prop but no sign of fishing line. I will order the parts suggested and start the repair when my repair manual arrives. Thanks for your advice.

Back