Logo

Need seal for upper unit

randyj

Regular Contributor
I've got a 1976 mercruise

I've got a 1976 mercruiser 140 i/o. The drive shaft (upper unit) is leaking oil into the driveshaft bellows. I need the wrench to take off the castle nut and either a seal kit or the seal around the driveshaft..quoting from bad memory I think the serial number is 3347743. Any help or clues on where to buy these items at a reasonable price would be appreciated. Need to go fishing bad. Please e-mail with info.
Thanks RandyJ

You need a spanner wrench. Yo

You need a spanner wrench. You can get one off E-bay. you might be able to get the seal kit from there also. I haven't ever done the procedure so I can't help you there.

" I have a similar problem to

" I have a similar problem to Randy's in that I need a wrench to remove the castle nut, or whatever, and a seal kit for the upper unit on a 74 Mercruiser engine. The local yocals want $350 for the pleasure, plus the kit. They want $89.95 for the 'spanner' wrench! I can't find anything on eBay and would appreciate any comment that you could offer!
Thanks,
Gene Zielie "

" If there are any VIP Auto st

" If there are any VIP Auto stores or tool rental places nearby try to rent the wrench for a w/e or so. I rent tools all the time and saves me buying a tool I use once every ten years. Good luck, Kim "

18-9803 thru sierra it sells

18-9803 thru sierra it sells for 68.94 list and is available thru many autoparts stores just ask em to look. The wrench is cut out of 3/16 flat steel and can be made by your local machine shop if you show them what you want.

" Gene check out eBasicpower.c

" Gene check out eBasicpower.com They have the best price on parts that I can find. So far parts that I got from them has been half the price of what the other crooks want. And they ship free anywhere in the USA, if its over a hundred dollars. "

Back