Logo

1987 351 PCM Dixie Super Skier ignition problems

romans116

Okay guys I bet this is basic

Okay guys I bet this is basic but....I have no spark at the plugs and no voltage at the coil. Shouldn't I have 12 volts on the + side of the coil with the key in the on position. I can break the breaker points and get some spark on it but not much. Does the regulator on back of the alternator supply this voltage. When turning over I only get about 3 v on the coil.

".."Shouldn't I have 1

".."Shouldn't I have 12 volts on the + side of the coil with the key in the on position?"

Yes, but only if the points are CLEAN and closed.

Jeff

PS: I'd suggest a Petronix points replacement kit. Everyone who's gone this way is mighty pleased!"

Actually that is where my prob

Actually that is where my problem started. Installed a Pertronix 1581 kit and it would not start. Put old stuff back in and would not start. So now I am trying to find the problem. It had been a few weeks since I started it last so not sure if it ran just before I installed new kit. Does the resistor coming off the - side of coil need to be hooked up different with the pertronix installed? Thanks for help

.."Does the resistor comin

.."Does the resistor coming off the - side of coil need to be hooked up different with the pertronix installed?"

Depends on the coil used. The resistor is there to protect it from over voltage (if it's a 9 volt coil).

Jeff

It is a 12v coil. The resisto

It is a 12v coil. The resistor is mounted on the back side of the motor with the 40 amp circuit breaker. I am sure it is wired to the - side of the coil.

Okay. With a 12 volt coil you

Okay. With a 12 volt coil you don't need or want to use the ballast resistor. And the 12 volts should go to the + terminal of the coil.

I have a suspicion that you are confusing a condensor on the coil with a ballast resistor.

Jeff

"The condensor is under the di

"The condensor is under the distributor cap, the silver can that acts like a capacitor connectd to the points ( I think). There is a wire wound resistor (rectangular componet, tan in color, with two leads coming off it, maybe 3 inches long. I will ohm it out to see if I can read the resistance of it and make sure it is wired back to the coil. It has the same color wire as the one on the - side. My coil has two wires coming off the - side and one off the + side. I'm sure this is simple and I am making it complicated."

I am having very similar issue

I am having very similar issues with my 87 Ski Centurion. I bought a 1581 ignition conversion kit as well and no luck. My wife's cousin is a boat mechanic and walked me through all of the above issues. Still no luck. I will keep checking in to see what is up.

Make sure the coil is hooked u

Make sure the coil is hooked up correctly. 12 volts going to the correct side of everything. I went back to basics and hooked it up the way I thought was correct. It was different than the way it was connected with the points/condensor. Mine fired right up and all the problems of it stalling are gone now. What transmission do you have?

"i have a similar problem, if

"i have a similar problem, if the coil is a 12volt coil and says on it use external resistor, do i still use the ballast resistor with points or do i need to take it out of the loop. i am changing to breakerless this week but like to know the answer to this question first.
thanks"

Back