Logo

Soft transom 1984 Citation

B

Bill Green

"Hello,

I have a 1984 Citat

"Hello,

I have a 1984 Citation 19' open bow with a 3L 140 Mercruiser. The engine block is most likely cracked because of lack winterization. The rest of the boat is in great shape! I have the ability to rebuild the engine but I have concerns about the condition of the transom. A few years ago during a routine service the mechanic said the we had a "soft transom." His only proof of that was tapping on the back of the boat. Is there any way to make sure the transom is good before I start into engine repairs? I know this is an old boat to rebuild but it has a lot of sentimental value for my family.

Many thanks,

Bill"

"u can buy a moisture meter or

"u can buy a moisture meter or
stand on the stern or i/o while in the down position and slowly bounce up and down, if u see the transom moving u have a problem"

"Bill
There are several diffe

"Bill
There are several different ways to tell if the transom is soft. If you decide to get it repaired, have it done proffesionaly. Just be aware that the no matter what value you or your family place on the boat, it will never be worth in real $$$'s what you are going to pay to repair it."

"Bill: If the transom is soft

"Bill: If the transom is soft, and it probably is, then that is just the tip of the iceberg. Take a tack hammer (little one) and tap the inside of the transom starting at the top and slowly work across and then drop down 6 inches and listen to the hard rap of solid wood and then the thud of wet rotten wood. Or just drill a few 1/4 in. X 1/4 in. deep holes about 2 - 4 inches from the base of the INSIDE of the transom on both sides of the engine.

Water coming out and/or wet or dark shavings--replace entire transom from the inside. Water damaged wood is kid of like termite damage to a house; you know there is damage but to what extent.

Been there, done that on an 19 foot 1987 Baretta this year. My engine and O/D was good so I started with a new floor and carpet and ended up doing an entire rebuild from the hull up including complete electrical wiring and dash gauge replacement along with rebuilding the shifter assy. It's hard, messy, and labor intensive project. Very expensive to have it done but only about $2K if you do all but the transom. It should be done by a professional.

Send me an email and I'll send photos of what you will be getting yourself into--one surprise after the next and lots of WORK!!! If you enjoy that, then do it over the winter. Guy"

Back