Logo

Winterizing EFI engines

"Carl:
Why would you want t

"Carl:
Why would you want to run Marvel Mystery Oil through injectors? If you want to clean dirty injectors and the fuel system, stick with a product that is developed for it like SEA FOAM. Put it in the fuel tank per directions. Are you using a fuel/water separator? Change the filter lately? Guy"

Thanks guy for getting back to

Thanks guy for getting back to me.So I should put the sea foam in the tank with the stabilizer and run it through for how long? I'm shopping around to find the best job for the price to wintirize my boat.Whats the average price to winterize and store a lower unit for a 03 mercruiser 220 bravo 3??

"Carl: SEA FOAM is an ALL-IN-

"Carl: SEA FOAM is an ALL-IN-1 product which includes a fuel stabilizer. I have used both Stabil and it together. Put them in the fuel tank first and fill the fuel tank to just about full while watching the fuel gauge--do not top it off like some try to squeeze every drop into a car. Boat tanks are not closed systems like cars and actually vent into the atmosphere as the fuel expands and then suck in moist air as the fuel contracts as it cools.

Run the engine at idle for 15-20 minutes to get the fuel mix in the fuel rails & injectors. Then next season, run the tank down to at least 1/4 full so the SEA FOAM can work.

In almost all cases, you get what you pay for with any type of service. If your O/D has never been removed and fully serviced per Mercruiser's service manual, then this winter is a good time for it to make it last. Prices vary between independent mechs. and dealerships.

In my case, I have found a great mechanic that is reasonable and is so busy that it is very difficult to get him scheduled. He has his own place for major work and also travels with a full service truck with an entire shop on board to work at your home or the marina. His pricing is also about 1/3 lower than local dealers and he never performs any work without your consent after showing you what needs to be done.

I prefer independent seasoned mechanics to do the work on my drive that I can't do myself. They are independent because they want to be. The big dealerships charge a set job rate and have a boss pushing their techs. to get it done.

I am not against dealerships; they serve a good purpose in the industry and will perform the service needed. Ask around in your area; other boaters will know who to trust. Good mechs. want their reputation known as someone that does the job right to keep you coming back as a regular customer. Bad service news travels fast and nobody wants their reputation tainted.

Get the estimate for the work to be performed in writing. Most places have posted pricing for specific maintenance work and an hourly rate plus parts for disassembly to find out what repairs are needed.

Most of all, develop a relationship with someone who will work for you and know your boat inside and out. Stay away from the guys that don't give written cost estimates and try to up-sell to you services you don't need.

I have seen prices for minor drive maintenance work vary from $800 at the independent to $3,000 by a dealer just to pull the drive, lubricate the u-joints and engine coupler, replace the bellows, water hose and impeller kit using the same parts. The dealer wanted to RESEAL everything which wasn't needed. For the $3,000 price, I could have replaced the entire O/D!

Storage varies here from $50/month for unsecure outdoors to $100+ for indoor secure dry storage.

Good luck, Guy"

Guy Thanks again. Your were ve

Guy Thanks again. Your were very informative. I'm definitly going to use an independent guy for the work. Take care Carl.

"Carl: my pleasure. Remember

"Carl: my pleasure. Remember to ask for their training and some references of their clients and follow up on them. If the mech. is reputable, he'll be happy to give them to you.

Good luck. Guy"

I am looking at a boat with 19

I am looking at a boat with 1995 Mercruiser 454XL EFI engines. Can anyone tell me if you know of any problems with these engines. They have 740 hours on them.

Back