Logo

502 Mag needs more HP

ap42965

I have a 1992 502 Mag 390HP&#4

I have a 1992 502 Mag 390HP(rated) engine in my 223 Cobalt. I wouuld like to get more HPs out of it for little money IF POSSIBLE. I saw an add on ebay for a 502/502 roller cam setup for sale out of a crate motor. Just wondering if this would help. Any other suggestions are welcome.

"Make it breath, look at exhau

"Make it breath, look at exhaust manifolds first! Don't know what you consider a little money, but have you thought about a supercharger?"

"Thanks Guys. I have thought a

"Thanks Guys. I have thought about a supercharger. They are pretty expensive and i dont think it will fit under the engine hatch. I am a little scared of Nitrous, it is inexpensive but I believe it will do more harm then good. Thanks for the thoughts though. Any other idesa out there."

"How about newer better flowin

"How about newer better flowing heads with bigger valves & smaller chambers (higher comp ratio). How about high performance roller cam, roller rockers, higher lift. Thru transom exhausts will help, as will high rise intake manifold, 750+ CFM Holley carb, and reprop (if you are not getting full WOT RPM).
This should get you about 450 hp or so and 60+ MPH. Much more than that and your bottom end reliablity may get iffy. How many hours on the engine now?
How fast do you want to go, and how much GPH fuel do you want to burn?
Some crate engine versions of the carbureted 502 are rated at 500 hp at the crank.
Rod"

"Port City Machine offers seve

"Port City Machine offers several upgrades at various price ranges that will improve your horsepower and torque values. If you're interested, give them a call (315) 343-6030 M-F 8-5 EST"

"Thanks Rod and Skip. Rod you

"Thanks Rod and Skip. Rod you pretty much hit what I am looking for. Rod, With all of those changes you descibe do you Have any specific part number or manufactureres. I have thru tansom exhaust already.

Thanks"

Back