Logo

Not charging

ran475

"-----------------------------

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i have a 1977 silver line with a 4 cyl merc cruiser it don't have an alternator now but i would like to change it so i can run an alternator for charging,can i do thi"

"assuming You have a 3.7L. You

"assuming You have a 3.7L. You do have an alternator. it's built into the harmonic balancer. if You would like to convert to a different alternator, check sierra #18-5953 available on this site."

"If the motor is the kind with

"If the motor is the kind with the big expensive voltage regulator, you can get a bracket assembly and just about any alternator with the right output will work. You will need a different size of belt but that other setup is a joke. Even the guys I talked to at Mercruiser hated it. They had so many problems with it that I'm not even sure they sell it anymore. The end of Merc part numbers with A24, or something like that means that it has superceded close to that many times."

"thanks,

so i don't hav

"thanks,

so i don't have to take any wires off or anything first befor i instill the alternator."

"Never work on anything that&#

"Never work on anything that's directly connected to the battery without removing at least the negative cable.There's a charging lead, the exciter lead (possibly) and others that will need proper routing and terminations. The alternator needs to be marine grade, too. Coast Guard regs require that no switches, aternator or starter motor be able to cause sparks. Sparks and gas fumes in the bilge are/can be a big problem."

Back