Logo

Tach Problems

paulcyre

"My tach stopped suddenly. I

"My tach stopped suddenly. I know it is electronic what is the best way to trace the problem.

Next question
Has anybody experienced irratic starter motor problems. I never know if my 2003 3.0L mercrusier is going to start. Each time I go to start the engine it clicks, clicks, clicks and if I am lucky it will start. Any ideas on what the problem may be??"

"Try cleaning the battery conn

"Try cleaning the battery connections.
An 03 model shouldn't have a problem with dirty connections in the wire harness other than the battery but look around to see if you see any sign of corrosion at any of the connections.

Have the battery tested unless you know it is in good condition. More than 2 years old have it load tested.

If the battery is good,the connections are clean, then you may have a starter going out or the selnoid.

A 3 or 4 year old boat really shouldn't need a starter but then again I don't know how it's been used / abused.

I do not mean anything by that either.

Then again as the saying goes they just don't make things the way they use too.

As for the tach I haven't a clue where to start other than finding a test tach and hooking it up at the leads on the one not working. If the test tach works replace the tach.

You also may want to make sure the belt for the alternator is tight and in good condition if this model has one of the V type belts.

Good luck."

"Charli
Thanks for the inform

"Charli
Thanks for the information. The boat has hardly been used, 57 hours total. I'll check the leads as I know the battery is good. Where is the best place to buy solonids and/or starters if I should need them.
Regards."

"Like Charli said, the clickin

"Like Charli said, the clicking starter is either lack of voltage (batt. or connections) or carbon build-up on the contact plate or poles in the solenoid. If the batt. and connections check out, drop the starter and take the solenoid off. Take the cap off the solenoid. There will probably be a good amount of carbon deposits on the contact plate and the poles. Take a piece of fine sand paper and sand off the carbon, then smear a little electric grease on the plate and contact poles with your finger.

Put it back together and then bench test it before you put it back together. Using a set of jumper cables, clamp the ground (black) to the starter body and the negative pole of the batt. Then clamp the hot (red) to the to the positive pole of the solenoid and the positive post on the batt. Step on the starter because when you jump the starter, she is going to want to move from the torque of the motor spinning. Take a screwdriver and jump the solenoid from the big positive pole to the ignition pole (small post). If everything is correct, the starter motor will kick on and the solenoid will kick out the starter gear.

About the Tach, check the wires on the coil also."

Back