Logo

1972 50hp evinrude not shifting into gear

• Thread starter Mo better blues
  • Start date
M

Mo better blues

"Can anyone get me started in

"Can anyone get me started in the right direction? I ran over a rock just under the water yesterday at full speed. The motor came out of gear and was revving at max but prop wasn't turning. I have electronic shift and it wasn't responding in forward or reverse (no sound of clicking into gears). I could turn the prop, but not freely."

"Try turning the prop by hand

"Try turning the prop by hand again and watch to see if the drive shaft is turning too or just the prop. If you are very very lucky, you have just spun a prop. Can you see any visable damage?"

The drive shaft does turn with

The drive shaft does turn with the prop and the only damage to the prop is one of it's blade.

"That lower unit has spring l

"That lower unit has spring loaded shifter dog which when no voltage is applied to either solenoid, the unit is forced into forward gear. To have it stuck in neutral would be quite strange.

As IBNFISHING suggests in not so many words, try another propeller before doing anything else."

Just tried another prop and it

Just tried another prop and it's doing the same thing. The shaft is turning with the prop and is a bit stiff. Could the electronic shift be the problem and how can I test it?

There is no mention of compres

There is no mention of compression.Is it possible/probable that he sheared the key on the flywheel end?

I just took apart the lower en

I just took apart the lower end unit. Seems like the shaft is broken off the top spline. Is there an easy way to get the broken piece out without taking off the powerhead?

"Mo--
My limited experience w

"Mo--
My limited experience with outboards has me wondering how the shaft could have broken--the three motors I have (all early 1960s) all have some type of key or shear pin to prevent that from happening--if you did indeed break the shaft, you will need to remove the powerhead and inspect the crankshaft to be sure it isnt bent. You may also need to determine why your shear pins or woodruff keys didnt protect the shaft."

"Tom, your guess is much bette

"Tom, your guess is much better than mine. This is the first time I took apart a marine motor. The shaft that comes out of the gear case doesn't have any splines on the end. It does indeed seem weird that there wasn't any protection for this sort of thing. I'll have a better look at it when I pull the powerhead off. Also where would the woodruff keys be, if infact there is any? Appreciate the help very much. Thanks"

"That engine has no shear pin.

"That engine has no shear pin. The top of the driveshaft to crankshaft and the propshaft to propeller are both spline fitted.

If the top splines have broken/sheared off, you are faced with attempting to have someone experienced in welding to touch weld a rod to the splines that are still in the crankshaft, OR, remove the powerhead to remove the broken portion of the driveshaft.

And of course, now you need to replace the driveshaft or find a reasonable priced used lower unit."

"Just a guess,but if you hit s

"Just a guess,but if you hit something hard enough to snap the drive shaft I'd say you at least bent the prop shaft as well.

The lower unit should be taken apart and inspected before it is used again.
The gear set could have hair line cracks or chips.

The best way that I have found for removing a broken shaft end is to drill a small hole in the broken piece then use a small slide hammer to pull the part out.

Before someone tells you this let me put an end to it.
YOU CAN NOT HIT THE TOP OF THE CRANK WITH A BIG HAMMER AND HAVE THE BROKEN PART FALL OUT THE BOTTOM!
Ok.
Although these units are not hard to work on they do require special tools.

If you do not have the tools it is best that you have the work done. Also take along you're own grease and smear it all over you're butt before you take it in. This way you know there is no rock salt in the grease.

Be careful,this is a rip off's dream because they know you can't tell what's bad and what isn't or what they replaced and did not replace.

Good luck."

Back