Logo

ammeter installation on DF140

owen

"I want to install ammeters on

"I want to install ammeters on my dual DF 140's. One leg of the ammeter needs to come off the alternator...but after a quick check I can't find the alternator. Is it belt driven, and where is it hidden? Where can I get an exploded view of the motor? Where can I get a maintenance manual on the 4 stroke?"

"The alternators in outboards

"The alternators in outboards are usually built into the flywheel. It may be best to pick up the connection at the rectifier. This attachment may give you a guide, but a manual is such a great idea even if you borrow it from a library"

"couldn't see attachment t

"couldn't see attachment trying again smaller file<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/attachment_icon.gif""" align=left alt=""image/bmp"">magneto
[url=""][b]df 140 magneto.bmp[/b][/url] (98.4 k)</td></tr></table></center>"

"Thanks for the info, where we

"Thanks for the info, where were you able to get this information? I've searched high and low for a manual, but can't find an aftermarket manual that covers the large 4 strokes. I guess I'll have to try and see if a dealer will sell one to me."

"Hi Owen
I did a search and a

"Hi Owen
I did a search and after market manuals seem to stop at 2000. If you are planning to maintain your motors a couple of years any kind of manual is a must. Although $70 for a factory manual may seem like a lot of money, try thinking about it in this way... Your time must be worth at least $10 Hour even on home projects. An after market manual will cst about $40 and the detail in the diagrams in the factory manual should save you three hours. Doing your own maintenance right will give you increased reliabilty and trouble shooting skills on the water. I was surprised that the best backyard mechanic I knew always had the factory manual until I bought one for my motor (DT75)
Happy Boating
Sirlespat
happy.gif
"

"Thanks for the info on Browns

"Thanks for the info on Browns Point. I ordered a manual from them. I also checked the lower unit schematic and found an exhaust seal, which I think could be the source of the bubbles. I'll check the seal tomorrow, and replace if it looks suspect."

Back