Logo

Ball gear removal

lilsinker

"I finally got all the parts i

"I finally got all the parts in and am rebuilding the upper gearcase. ( both shafts, water pump,seals, etc..) I'm having a bear of a time getting the ball gear nut off of the shaft. The PO didn't install the cover over the nut, and it is rusted on. I've been bathing it in penetrating oil now for 5 days, and still nearly tip over the entire bench with the vise, drill press and all. I've tried using a chisel, and it just ruins the chisel. I'm getting flustered! Any ideas?"

"You will probably have to tor

"You will probably have to torch it. Do you have an impact wrench? If not most auto parts stores do. Bring it up there and have them pound on it. I had just rebuilt my rams and the nut attached to the piston shaft was on there so tight. Like you, I used my vice and just about anything I could find to loosen it. I finally went to the auto store to get a puller to just remove the piston. While there I was talking to the guy about my situation and he went up front with it, whipped out a electric impact wrench and it took it off like it was nothing. You probably will need an impact wrench to get that nut lose."

"You will require heat to remo

"You will require heat to remove the nut as they are generally installed using Loctite. OMC also made a special wrench, about 24" long, for holding the ballgear steady. We normally used the OMC wrench to hold the gear, and a half inch breaker bar and socket to remove the nut. One the nut is off you will likely need a 3 arbor press to press the gear off the shaft."

"On the real corroded ones You

"On the real corroded ones You may have to drill a hole (3mm) through it before splitting it, but be sure You got a good quality drill bit!"

Thanks for the feedback! I was

Thanks for the feedback! I was able to get the nut off using an electric impact. Now I'm soaking the ball gear in penetrating oil to get it off of the shaft. Hopefully it will be easier than the nut was.

Back