Logo

HELP on outbaord engine for a 85 m RIB

simo_p

"Hey guys,

I am new to the

"Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and I need your opinion. I am running a diving center in the Red Sea, Egypt and I am about to purchase a 8.50 m R.I.B. and I have the option between those engine (it will be double engine)

Suzuki 4 stroke 140/150 hp
Honda 4 stroke 140/150 hp
Mercury optimax 150 hp 2 stroke

The boat will run max 4 trip a day for approx. 2 nautical miles per trip carrying max 12 person. The sea condition are normaly good.

According to the supplier those engine are within the same price range so cost it is not a big issues, he also reckons the performance are equall although he says the Suzuki 4 stroke are extremelly good.

I am not an expert and I need your opinion on this.What do you reckon??

Cheers,

Simo"

"thanks jeff and "justinti

"thanks jeff and "justintime" for you answer, from the way the supplier was talking about those engine I had the impression that he was suggesting Honda to be the last choice!

Can you tell me why you reckon Honda will be the best choice?

Sorry for asking many questions but as you can tell I am not an expert and the investment is quite high for me and I don't want to get screwed

Cheers mates"

"I'll bet the guy knocking

"I'll bet the guy knocking Hondas doesn't sell them! Seriously, they and Yamaha have a sterling reputation for reliability in Alaska and other brutal service.

You didn't mention Yamaha, but there's another one to look into.

Jeff"

"Jeff,

Yamaha doesnt have g

"Jeff,

Yamaha doesnt have good service here in Egypt, I met the guy today to discuss the disegn of the hull and he told me that in his opinion the Optimax 150hp direct fuel injection is the best option for my R.I.B because in Egypt 4 strokes engine are very new on the market. I was reading on the net some negative report about Optimax so I am not sure yet which direction to go.

Cheers mate"

"opti's are a little thirs

"opti's are a little thirsty

Honda's only make 4 strokes, very quite and fuel efficient

are u going 4 or 2"

"justintime,

fuel in Egypt

"justintime,

fuel in Egypt is very cheap so consumption is not a big issue, as per the question 4 or 2 I am not sure yet but I am keen on the Opti 2 strokes. Yesterday they came out with another option, Opti 200hp 2 strokes directly injected.

Am i making a big mistake??"

optimax are sweet engines
i s

optimax are sweet engines
i still think Yamaha 200 hpdi is the best out there. only because of less moving parts
only thing i have seen bad on the merc opti's is fuel and air rails get pin=hole leaks in them
if u have a good dealer with certified techs go with merc. it is hard to find good suzi techs

Back