Logo

How do you determine type of stern drive

waterboy

"I have a 1977 Century with an

"I have a 1977 Century with an 898 Mercruiser 305 engine. According to all pictures I've seen, i have an Alpha I drive, but the person i purchased the boat from says it's the original drive, which should have the the 'eye' hook on the cap. Mine is flat, just like an Alpha one. My issue is I need to get a gasket kit since I pulled it off for the winter. I looked for any decals with serial numbers and nothing, it's been repainted so many times I can't see anything on it. the picture I got off the net, mine doesn't have any numbers...

Thanks a ton for any help!

33014.jpg
cap photo

What you have could be an MR m

What you have could be an MR model. I can't see enough of it ti tell. Try going to amarket.com. This site has full blown up pictures of all the drives so it should be east to spot the one you have.

There are venders on this site that have parts for the drive as well but I do not know off hand of any that show pictures of the drives like amarket does.

"Judging from the flat top cap

"Judging from the flat top cap and what I can see of the cavitation plate, you have an alpha one drive. It would not be original to that boat. If your boat still has the MR gimble housing and bell housing, a gasket for the MR, or alpha one will work. They will also work for an alpha one housing but I recommend the alpha gasket."

Back