Logo

What year is this engine

tdsr1

I am considering buying a used

I am considering buying a used 3.0. The seller says it's a mid to late 90's engine. I cannot tell from the pictures he's providing. He says the serial number is 3849449-H264. This number doesn't seem to be right. Is it?

"If it really is a Mercruiser,

"If it really is a Mercruiser, you should be able to call any Mercruiser dealer and they can look it up. Their parts and service manuals are in a database called Midas and there's a serial number range for every motor/drive/transom ass'y they made. Since it's a mid-'90s motor. there should be a plastic cover on the flame arrestor and that will have all of the serial numbers and oil types, along with tune-up specs.

He may have omitted the prefix to the number. Have him read it to you. What kind of boat is it from? If he has the original hull number, the boat manufacturer can be contacted because they have to keep records of all boats made by them in case there's a safety recall."

"From the picture I have, it l

"From the picture I have, it looks like the plastic cover is missing. He doesn't list what kind of boat it was from. Thanks for your response."

"See if there's a sticker

"See if there's a sticker on the oil pan. Otherwise, there may be a metal tag on a bolt, somewhere on the motor."

Is this just the engine you ar

Is this just the engine you are buying?
If so then either make darn sure of what the engine is or walk away from it.
Why do you think the numbers are not right? Did you check them out with a dealer?

If you did and they do not match anything close then walk away from it.

Numbers are not right. The type of boat is unknown. The year is not certain. Strike three.

This sounds like another *(#< story in the making.
Be careful and good luck.

"I e-mailed the seller asking

"I e-mailed the seller asking for verification of the serial number and his reply was:

"Accoring to the local dealer there is no way to determine the manufactured date of an engine from the serial number. Dealer says mid 90's based on distributer, but could be an older engine with a newer dist."

I think your right, I'm going to have to pass on this deal! Thanks to all for your input"

"BZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! Wrong answer

"BZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! Wrong answer!

Passing on this one is a good idea.

I would like to talk to this "dealer" and ask him why manufacturers put a serial number on things if it's not for tracking dates, build type, specs upon build, etc."

I have a 1968 IMP with a inlin

I have a 1968 IMP with a inline 6 cyl mercruiser. How can I tell if it's a right or left hand engine. It turns over to the left facing forward from the stern but I think the engine has been changed and wondered if the wrong starter is n there. The propeller is for a righthand drive. any info would help.

Back