Logo

Trim motor goes up but not down

puff214

"Hi
Let me start by saying I

"Hi
Let me start by saying I am not a mechanic in any sense of the word. I buy boats with minor problems get the parts for cheap and fix it.

I have a boat with a Merccruiser 4.3L V6. The trim motor for frozen when I bought it so the motor would not raise or lower. Luckily it was all the way down so I could use it all summer. I took the trim motor apart and saw that the whole thing was locked solid. I bought a whole new motor and resevoir, replaced the three wires (blue, green & black) to the same place that they were previously connected to and the motor only goes up and does not go down. Now my motor is stuck up. It doesn't even make a noise when I press it to go down but when I press it to go up it does. I know the motor is good, the wires were connected like the original so I have no idea what could be wrong? Could the switch itself be bad?

Any help would be really appreciated because I want to sell this boat and that is really a big road block for me doing so.

Thanks"

"Check your switches and the s

"Check your switches and the selonoid if it has them.

It probally a bad switch, selonoid or a connection."

Make sure the plug to the trim

Make sure the plug to the trim assy. is not corroded and is making contact. Old ones have a habit of vibrating loose while they look like they are connected. No change? Pull the cover off of the trim switches in the shifter handle. Look for a broken wire at the cable connector.
Guy

"You didn't say what king

"You didn't say what king of drive, but there's a switch inside the drive unit. As a temporary fix, you can jump the switch at the pump, but keep an eye on your trim level."

"Thanks,

There are two sole

"Thanks,

There are two solenoids that are bracketed together where the connections are. I replaced one of them which looked the beat up but I guess I can change the others. I opened up the cover on the trottle lever to see if the wires were loose but they looked alright, I will double check. I will follow back after I look more closely at it. Thanks for the help."

Back