Logo

57LX water in itwhat to do

G

Gary Miller

"Went to look at a 1996 Maxum

"Went to look at a 1996 Maxum 2300SC with the 5.7LX.The guy had a buy it now for $14500 on Ebay and when we looked it had a severly corroded carb and the starter barely clicked. Anyway long story short we settled on $5m and it was still too much. Water and rust in the intake, water in 4 of the cylinders. We turned it over by hand and loaded it with Marvell Mystery Oil both in the intake and spark plug holes and put the plugs back in for now. The previous owner said the boat ran last year and while getting a divorce had it at a friends who left it uncovered and no bilge-etc during the entire rainy season(San Jose, Ca.) Anyway can we save the motor? My son wants to pull the intake and the heads-do we need to pull heads or just the intake- acid clean it and try a rebuilt carb? I also think the 250hp is a bit light is there any good way of getting 20 to 30 more hp out of it? Oh is there anyway to get water into the engine unless it sunk? There is no mold or mildew anywhere in the boat."

Why not a compromise with fath

Why not a compromise with father and son? Pull the motor and race rebuild it! He'll get what he wants (the power hungry fanatic--I like that!) and you'll end up with a reliable motor.

A no loss decision.

Jeff

"Gary,

I would at least pul

"Gary,

I would at least pull the heads. Not only will it give you the chance to freshen up the valves, but you'll get a good look at what lies beneath. You might get the heads off and find it not worth fooling with due to rusted cylinders. If there is rust in the cylinders and you clean it up and get it running, the first time it gets to 4000 the rust on the wrist pins (which you can't clean off) grinds through the piston and BAM, you're worse off then when you started. Now you have a rod sticking out through the side of the block. (Not that I've ever done this, but it happened to a guy I met at bandcamp)

Anyway, if you're going to want to be able to rely on this thing, you might as well bite the bullet and make it right.

Regards
Rick

By the way, I never really went to bandcamp. I'm too impatient to learn music."

"Well, from what I know about

"Well, from what I know about water in the engine with no signs of water otherwise, would check exhaust manifolds for corrosion and perferation. I know of cases where that lead to a boat sinking and raw water cooled I/O's are very suseptable to this."

Thanks for reply's. From e

Thanks for reply's. From everything so far it looks like rain water entered through the flame arrestor and the bilge filled up to about 1/2 up the alternator. No corrosion inside the distributor cap- no evidence of battery floated- the lowest of the 2 batteries works fine and not enough severe corrosion to indicate acid. No water in crankcase so that should rule out exhaust leaks. Underneath the valve covers is also perfect- no hints of rust. Tomorrow the intake is coming off and we go from there.

"Gary,
This is to scary, I

"Gary,
This is to scary, I have a 96 maxxum 2300SR, I got water in the motor through the carb {i left it with a marina for some final tuning on a brand new 5.7 lt crate motor and they took "good care of her" over the week end in a 4-5 inch rain storm [thats totsl sarcasm by the way] on monday morning they went down to finish the job , it turned almost over and bent the number one rod ...and thats how i got it back ....any way ive been through mulitple gaskets sets and now ignitions and she's at another marine mechanics with water getting into the oil...please keep in touch and let me know what you find with yours and what you do ...as we basically have identical boats....feel free to pick my brain as well ...ive been repairing this boat for 2 yrs now .....and yes BOAT definatley means "break out another thousand" good luck sir"

Back