Logo

1982 Mercruiser 260 repower

toby

Have anyone bought the new Che

Have anyone bought the new Chevy target master pre 1986 290 horse power and repowered a Mercrusier. I'm thinking about using an ebasic power fresh water conversion with it that utilizes the outdrive low capacity pump.

My Outrdive is a generation II Alpha so I do not think the added horsspower will be a problem.

I will replace the freese plugs but was wondering if anyone has use these Chevy Truck Targetmasters. They have 4 bolt maines unlike the engine I'm replacing so it should be that much stronger.

All the rebuilt companies I've contact cannot guarentee a non salt water block and they all require new sheet metal which comes stadard on the target master

The block I have has Chevy heads that rotted. The sad thing is mechnically the engine looks perfect (no piston ridge!).

But as Neal Young said in one of his songs "Rust never sleeps".

I can pick the Target master with all new sheet metal for $1800 which is about $700 cheaper than a new marine block and with fresh water cooling it should last for ever

I'd like to share a story.

I'd like to share a story.

I put a cheap car engine in a boat for a guy once. It was all he could afford and he got some kind of deal on it. No stainless gaskets or marine cam no brass plugs. This thing didn't even have flat top pistons.
It was a cheap car engine.

Ok this freaking engine is still running and this was 12 years ago that I installed it.
The last time I serviced it there was over 1400 hours on it.

This is not a small boat either. It's a 25ft cabin cruiser. No closed cooling but no salt water either.

So I guess this is you're call. If you have closed cooling with antifreeze and don't mind having a different power band then go for it.
I've been wondering how well one will work so keep us posted if you try it.

Good luck.

"You can buy a reman 5.7 for $

"You can buy a reman 5.7 for $1,840.00 plus tin. (That is based on a 10 sec. google search, I know you can do better). Tin is not that much $$$. I see new pans all the time of e-bay for $50.00.

I know what Charlie said, I have seen similar cases, but why not do it right?"

"I had two boats that I repowe

"I had two boats that I repowerd with junk yard engines. A 302 Fordsand a Buick V6. Both worked. The 302 Ford I pulled out of a 1979 Couger that I bought for $75 buckX. That engine has 100,000 not so well cared for miles. I replace the freeze plugs and the valve stem seals and it ran great. One of you mention the power band on the Target Master. In a boat I thought you want torque over horse power that why I want to go with the Target master truck mill with 290 horspower. Any ideas on what the cam set up should be. Lift duration, etc.

Thanks for the feedback. Any good fresh water conversion system that anyone would recomend."

"Check with any of the major c

"Check with any of the major cam manufacturers and they will tell you what you should need for your application.I would think the truck cam would be pretty close as is. You could put in stamped roller tip 1.6 ratio rockers and get a substantial increase in lift and power. You should check valve to piston clearance, but my guess is you would be fine. Summit racing has the rockers for, if memory serves about $60.00. They also have them in the stock 1.5 ratio. Good luck with your project. Mike"

"On a 350 sbc, anything around

"On a 350 sbc, anything around 250-260 duration and around 430-460 lift would fall under the "RV" cam range. They are good "puller" cams that develop a good broad torque curve between 800 and 4000 rpm. That's where you want it for most marine apps. Anything higher in duration and the r's will have to come up for a good idle and that will kill your lower unit."

Thanks for the information the

Thanks for the information the 290 horse power GM targetmaster has a 222 intake and exhaust duration with a 450-460 lift should this work good for my application anf not screw up the lower unit.

Anyone has any freshwater conversion kits experience? What one are good and bad. I want to use the outdrive pump. My Osco exhaust manifolds are a year old so I probally will not convert them for freash water at this time. Athough I'm on an east coast brakish river and only go out in the ocean 7 days of the summer season. Is it worth a try?

"If your manifolds are only a

"If your manifolds are only a year old they should be fine. flush them with one of the many salt flush agents avaliable, about 12.00 a quart (concetrated), avaliable at I-Boat. You could also preasure test them with compressed air. Here are the cam specs from a performance marine small block(365hp), duration [email protected], lift 462in-477ex. I'd say that truck cam looks just about right. Mike"

Back