Logo

Exhaustwater leaks

adam_g

Contributing Member
I was getting ready to flush m

I was getting ready to flush my Searay with (7.4L bravo 1) with clean water before draining and I noticed water and exhaust coming from the transom. I turned the engine off. It did not get warmed up. This boat is new (to me) this summer and ran fine all summer. Is this normal ( I doubt it) and where would the leak be?

"Relax, this is perfectly norm

"Relax, this is perfectly normal.
At low engine RPM, almost all the water and exhaust exit thru two openings at the lower corners of the drive unit adjacent to the transom. You will hardly notice anything coming out thru the prop.
Just be sure that the water that is exiting is not too hot or steaming. It should be warm to the touch, but not scalding. Your water supply to the muffs on the drive leg should be adequate to cause some leakage around the muff edges while the engine is idling. This assures the pump is picking up sufficient water.
Also make sure your heat exchanger (if FWC equipped) and your exhaust manifolds do not become overly hot while you are warming it up.
Rod"

"Adam, if you have done this b

"Adam, if you have done this before and not noticed it, check your exhaust bellows with the drive leg up and make sure it is not cracked anywhere. If cracked it will be along one of the bottom creases, where they stretch the most. It should be easy to find if there is a crack.
Rod"

Back