Logo

17b 1985 Sunbird Horn Location

J

John Mason

"This isn't exactly an OMC

"This isn't exactly an OMC question... but the boat does have a 120hp with an OMC stringer out drive (400 series).

There is a "horn" button at the helm... but no wires connected and I can't locate them under the dash!

I'm installing a car horn I have... but don't know where best to locate it. Where would the original horn have been located... under the dash? Around the motor/transom?

I was thinking about installing it in the rear near a vent hole to best get the sound out. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John."

"The horn needs to be heard fr

"The horn needs to be heard from all angles and if it's in the rear, nobody in front of you will have a chance of hearing it when you're under way. You usually need to alert someone ahead of you, right? Look on the outside of the boat for a smallish oval grill and you'll find the OEM location. I thought boats were supposed to have all safety equipment working unless it was made known specifically what doesn't work.

Think about who needs to hear the horn and install it acoordingly. Under the dash will alert the boat occupants but almost nobody else. Same for mounting at the transom. Aim it forward and make it so the sound goes outside of the mounting location.

(Ever had someone honk your horn while you had your head under the hood? It's not a lot of fun.)"

"Well, upon closer inspection

"Well, upon closer inspection I found what looks like three patched screw-size holes high on the port side near the windshield that could be where an exterior horn was mounted. There are no grills... except for the vents into the transom.

For now I guess I'll assume the port side holes were once where a trumpet type horn was mounted... which means my automobile horn idea won't look so hot.
sad.gif

I'd still like to know what type of original horn it had if anyone knows. I've been searching the internet for pictures that might show one... no luck so far.

For now I've been using a compressed air horn from wally world... I guess that meets requirements!"

"My Beachcraft has the horn mo

"My Beachcraft has the horn mounted under the lip of the open bow area. Gunwale, I guess would be the right term.

It used to be on top, but somebody added a nice SS rail around the bow area, and it looks like they used the very same mounting holes to relocate the horn underneath. Used SS trim washers with pan head bolts - actually looks like it was meant to be there.

Works fine - it's a little less intimidating when I have the canvas cover on the bow area, but it does keep the horn in nice shape.

BTW - did you know that most horns are adjustable? There is an adjustment screw and you are supposed to tweak that while you run the horn on an ammeter. I don't know what the amps are supposed to read, but I know mine didn't work until I found that little screw had vibrated out. I fiddled with it until it sounded nice and loud, and then I applied Locktite to the adj. screw. It has given trouble-free service since then, and saved me $85 for a new trumpet horn."

Back