Logo

Yahaha 50ELF HELP

"Hello All,
My little 1989 50

"Hello All,
My little 1989 50 ELF Yamaha outboard is driving me nuts.
She will start and run good for approx. 30 sec then bog down and stall out. If I use the warm up lever sometimes I can save it. She will run on the lake, but will stall at idle.
I have already replaced the fuel pump, tore apart, rebuilt and cleaned the carbs (all the jets, emulsion tubes, floats, gaskets, o-rings pilot screw). I have soaked and scrubed them. She used to have a "lean sneeze", and a hesitation at wot, but with the last tare down and cleaning we got rid of that. But she will not idle. Someone mentioned to me the float levels could do this. Is this so, and if so how do you adjust them?
Any help would be greatly appreicated.
Thanks
Peter"

u need to pull the carb to do

u need to pull the carb to do it
i think it is 14mm or 16mm

u need the manual

have u checked timing also

"No I have not checked timing,

"No I have not checked timing, I have to try to find someone with a light.
I am using the Seloc online service manual for my specs. You are right 14-16 mm (.55-.63"). But they do not specify on how to do it. Do you measure from the top of the float or from the center. I have read on the internet both ways. Not sure which one to follow. Also does the float theory sound fesiable. Would a new float have a differnet hieght to it?"

"top of float
usually if u ti

"top of float
usually if u tilt the carb sideways a little u want it level with the bottom of the float bowl

clymer manual is much better, but not as good as the factory

timing is easy, no need to have motor running
idle time just crank over motor and look at reading

for wot timing just hold carbs at wot and use the light

to verify u need it in water and in forward gear
as for wot timing, have fun going wot and timing
most techs do it on the trailer or hold it wot and crank over motor"

"Well I appreciate it. I will

"Well I appreciate it. I will measure the floats tomorrow. This thing is driving me crazy. I just bought this boat, and I am told before it was "parked", it ran like a champ. I found out yesterday the boat sat for about 2 years. I figured that explained most things.
Thanks Again,
Peter"

"OK, I am back. I measured the

"OK, I am back. I measured the floats, and they were 16-17mm( and way not level with the float bowl). I adjusted them to 14-15mm and almost dead on being level. Turned the key started it up and....stalled out. I adjusted the air some and I believe I have it pretty stable.
Do these boats have an idle sensor like a car. She runs strong for about 30 sec. then the idle drops.
I tinkered with the air and the idle speed a little and I believe this might have done it. There is no hesitation when I lift the warm up switch, and when I return it to idle she lowers but doen't stall. I had her running for about 5 min after my last adjustment.
Hopefully, if the wife doesn't create a honey-do-list I plan on going to the lake tommorrow to test her out.
Besides timing can you think of anything else I should check before/after my trip to the lake?

Thanks Again,
Peter"

NOW U NEED TO SYNC AND LINK
W

NOW U NEED TO SYNC AND LINK
WHICH MEANS TO ADJ IDLE AIR AND TIMING
U NEED THE SPECS IN A MANUAL
I WILL SEE IF I CAN GET THEM TOMORROW FOR U AT SCHOOL

"here u go
i will get the syn

"here u go
i will get the sync and link tomorrow since i had to rebuld 8 different carbs today at school

url]
"

"Alright.
I went the lake yes

"Alright.
I went the lake yesterday. At first she ran like a champ. No problems. Idled, took off good, accelaerated..all with no problem. We skipped around the lake fishing. At one point we decided to move. We ran low speed for a few minutes, then we took off. Ran real good and fast. Then, total shut down. I tried to crank it back up, but no go. She cranked slowly like the battery was dead...which it was not. Then when she did crank she would not start. I got her to start by lifting the warm up lever and cranking. At that point I could smell fuel.
So we took off, full throttle went about hundred yards, then died again. Again, I could smell fuel. I figured she might be flooding so we sat a few minutes with it off. I opened the throttle all the way(with it off) to air out the carbs. She started back up, and we were off. As long as I did not go WOT, it was fine. We got back to dock on 1/2 to 3/4 throttle without incident.
It seems I go from one extreme to another. Any thoughts?
Peter"

Sticking? What open? If they a

Sticking? What open? If they are sticking how would I fix them. The needles and the jet it sits in are new from the rebuild.

if u rebuild i would double ch

if u rebuild i would double check needles and float height
also check idle adj screws
u need to sync and link correctly

"Hello Again,
I did do the re

"Hello Again,
I did do the rebuild. I changed everything that came with the kit.(Needles, jets, rubber stopper, float, all gaskets, and some o-rings). The needles and the jets they sit in are clean and free moving. The floats I noticed were not level and I measured them. They were 17mm from the edge of the bowl to the top of the float. Specs call for 14-16 mm. I adjusted them to 14 mm. The air mix screws call for 1 5/8 - 2 1/8. I have them adjusted to approx. 1 5/8. I read the "instructions" for the carb sync in the seloc manual, and I am not totally clear. The manual talks about the sync on a four carb power head. Nothing about a 3 carb, and the pictures differ from mine so it really didn't help. Have any better material.
Thanks
Peter"

Just-in-time you seem very goo

Just-in-time you seem very good at helping peter i was wondering if you could help me. im on the board as firing but not running. please help ryan

"Just in Time,
Did you find a

"Just in Time,
Did you find anything out. What exactly is a sync and link. Is it anything I can do with limited resources? I don't have a timing light yet, or a vacum gauge.
Peter"

"I will try this things. I am

"I will try this things. I am hoping to hit the lake this weekend. What book did you get this from, and where can I get one. Just these few pages look more in detial than the one I got.
Appreciate all your help.

Peter"

Yamaha service manual

go to

Yamaha service manual

go to Yamaha's web page or local dealer or SIM on thehulltruth.com

"I will get with them and get

"I will get with them and get a book. I have done business with them before. They were the only one I could find that had the correct rebuild kit for the carb and not rape me with the cost. Andy Jr. is pretty good, keeps to his word.

Thanks for everything.
Peter"

"Hello Again,
Took the big bo

"Hello Again,
Took the big boat to the lake last weekend. Started up fine, ran fine for awhile. Sitting there I decided to move some. Started her up and took off. When I laid the hammer down, she only ran about half speed. WOT, no high rpm's, some straining sounds. It sometimes sounded like it wan't to pick up and go, but she wouldn't do it. After running that way for a couple minutes, the warning buzzer went off. I'd shut her down, wait a while and she would start back up with no buzzer. Happened about three or four times that way.
This thing is driving me crazy."

Back