Logo

Fuses vs Breakers

mt5425

"I have a 1986 27' Four Wi

"I have a 1986 27' Four Winns and was wondering if I should convert the helm fuses to resetable breakers. The current fuses are above the steering wheel,above every switch, bilge, wipers, etc. By the way...my conversion to closed cooling worked perfectly!!! No more salt in the moter!! YEEE HAAA!!

32927.jpg
"

"And yes, I now see that I spe

"And yes, I now see that I spelled motor wrong...figures an English Major would do that..."

"6 of 1... 1/2 dozen of anothe

"6 of 1... 1/2 dozen of another, If you do not replace fuses now why change...All I do is put Dielectric grease on the fuse ends...never have blown a fuse unless I do something stupid...you know if there is only two ways to hook up something the first way is always wrong."

"Mike,

As Mr. Abatelli stat

"Mike,

As Mr. Abatelli stated you really do not blow the fuse unless you did something wrong.

What system are you concerned about. Shore power or the power system of the boat?

If it's the 12 volt system the only breakers I know of for a 12 volt system are self setting models. This does not mean there are not other models out there.
But if self setting breakers are what you are thinking about I do not feel this is a good idea.

Reason is,if the circuit fails for a reason other than you installing a part wrong you do not want the power turned back on until you know the cause of the failure.

If the breaker turned the power on for a split second it could cause a spark somewhere that did not happen the fist time the circuit failed.

This could be a fire danger and fire is not a good thing on a boat as I'm sure you know.

It could be best that you leave things as they are.
Just my opinion and that doesn't mean much either. Good luck."

"I think charli and Craig make

"I think charli and Craig make a good point; if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just keep a couple of spare fuses of each size on hand.
Nice looking boat, by the way!
Rod"

Back