Logo

Confused

despy

Regular Contributor
"Couple of questions.
If you

"Couple of questions.
If you have a problem with a motor dying when shifting out of gear, how come it doesn`t die going into gear?
How come the problem only occurs when the boat is in the water but never dies when shifting when idling with the muffs on in the driveway?
I know the problem has to do with the shift interupt switch and possibly requires a new lower shift cable but hate to spend the money replacing parts only to find the problem still exists."

99% of the time the problem is

99% of the time the problem is the lower shift cable. As the problem progresses it will die going into gear also. This is due to corrosion inside the cable housing. It only dies (now) comming out of gear because of the extra pressure put on the clutch dog by the forward or reverse motion of the prop and the added resistence of the water. It will get worse.

"Replace the lower cable. Had

"Replace the lower cable. Had the same trouble could not get the adjustment correct, if it cut-out going into gear.. adjusted it --than cut out get out of gear...I saw a lot of drag in the cable befor or after shifting --changed cable no problems now."

"Ok, presuming I decide to cha

"Ok, presuming I decide to change the lower cable, what extra parts ( seals, gaskets, etc), should a person have on hand before removing the leg?"

If you get the correct kit it

If you get the correct kit it will come with all the parts you need. I recommend that if you are going to do it yourself you buy the correct cable removal tool also. They're not that expensive and will save some stress.

I'd suggest getting qualit

I'd suggest getting quality parts. I put in a lower cable with some marina parts and the cable only lasted half a season.

Back