Logo

Steam from exhaust

rickwillis

360 steaming from exhaust. any

360 steaming from exhaust. any tips on traking down
cause or possible fixes. new to this game. cleaned strainer.

"Mine steamed like crazy in a

"Mine steamed like crazy in a 30 mile run up the Bay a few weeks ago. (Raw water cooled 360s.) Unless they are overheating, don't sweat it.

Jeff"

It is possible your motor will

It is possible your motor will not overheat while at the same time your exhaust may not be getting enough water thru it to cool the pipe. I have had the same problem. It turned out I was running 50 degrees hotter than normal. Infrared temp gun is handy here. Not to be an alarmist but this could be a dangerous situation if you don't check it. The quick check is your hand. You should be able to put your hand on the exhaust.

Todd

"Agreed with Todd, though I re

"Agreed with Todd, though I recently checked mine (with the laser gun) while it was steaming away and all was well. This time of year produces more steaming (unless you live in Florida).

Jeff"

"I read somewhere that if ther

"I read somewhere that if there is rust build up or small cracks in your exhaust risers you will get steam. I have the same problem, I get steam year around on lake Ontario, even more in the fall with the cooler lake temps. I plan on checking my entire exhaust system this winter.

AL"

"Hey, Al, let's face it: I

"Hey, Al, let's face it: It's always cold weather up there! (Just kidding.)

Jeff"

Steam can be an indicator of a

Steam can be an indicator of an manifold failure. Leaking cooling H2O into the hot gas passages. With time water will get in the exaust valve and lock the enging which breaks the engine. Raw water manifolds only last 7-10 years in salt water.
Best peace of mind is to replace them.

Back