Logo

2005 30 liter

doug_k

Hi! I just bought a new toy! T

Hi! I just bought a new toy! The pro to winterize it is coming next week and I would like to semi winterize it until he comes. I noticed there are 2 hoses to a handle on the top of motor for draining the block and manifold I drained both lines into the bilge. I was wondering what the handle was for? It should not drop below 32 here. But I would want to sleep at night. THANKS

"Doug: Since you just bought i

"Doug: Since you just bought it, buy the mfg.'s service manual and read it front to back to familiarize yourself with the operation of the engine and drive unit. You'll be glad you did.

You'll get more help if you provide some more info on your new toy? Did water or antifreeze come out of the hoses? What engine brand, size, model, year, fresh water cooled (antifreeze)or raw lake water? The handle you are referring to sounds like the diverter "T" on top of the thermostat housing which sends fluid, water or antifreeze, to cool the exhaust manifolds. There are drain petcocks on the sides of the engine block and bottoms of the exhaust manifolds on most engines. The Pro will show you how to do it. Keep notes and video what he says and does or take digital photos for reference. Guy"

"Hi Guy, It is a 2005 3.0 lite

"Hi Guy, It is a 2005 3.0 liter raw lake water cooled. There are 2 blue hoses that are in front of engine one says manifold coolant and the other says engine block coolant. I drained both into the bilge and clear water came out. I am getting the manuals"

"Doug: Have you put Stabil fu

"Doug: Have you put Stabil fuel stabilizer in the gas tank FIRST and then topped off the tank until it is about 95% full with fresh fuel?

Next, the engine needs to be run at idle to operating temp for 10-15 mins. to heat the engine and O/D oils for changing while they are warm. Pump some grease into the gimbal bearing zerk fitting while the engine is running. But fog the engine before you shut it off by spraying engine fogging oil into the caburetor for 15-20 seconds while keeping the engine idling high enough so it won't stall; shut the engine off when smoke starts pouring out of the exhaust. Lube all the other O/D zerk fittings and the engine coupler shaft fitting and rack and pinion fitting.

I looked at a 3.0 diagram and saw the "T" handle but I'm not sure what it is for but I think it may be used to purge water from the hoses or engine somehow.

When done fogging, wear a heavy rubber coated glove (engine water will be HOT) to remove the engine block and exhaust manifold blue drain plugs? Water should run out of it--probe it with a short piece of coat hanger to get it to drain. Remove the upper engine circulation water pump hose connection ONLY and bend it low enough to let it drain any water. Drain the two blue hoses.

Start pouring UNDILUTED RV/marine pink antifreeze thru the pump hose until it comes out the block drains; install the drain plugs and continue pouring thru the hose until it comes out the sterndrive; reattach hose.

Pour more antifreeze in both blue hoses until it comes out the manifold drain; install plug and continue pouring until it comes out the sterndrive; reattach all hoses.

Drain the HOT engine oil if equipped with a drain hose or pump it out via the dipstick tube using a drill pump. Change the oil filter and clean the filter mounting surface. Pour a cup of fresh engine oil into the new mercruiser oil filter SLOWLY to prime it and lightly coat the filter gasket with clean oil. Install the filter by hand until the gasket touches toe filter mount base and then hand turn it 3/4 more turn. Fill the engine with the correct amount of merc. engine oil.

Drain the outdrive by removing the plug screw at the bottom left of the drive bullet and loosen the drive oil resevior cap. There may be a VENT screw plug on the left side near the top of the drive--remove it. Install new gaskets on the screw plugs and mqke sure nobody left old gaskets in the plug holes.

Connect the fill hose to the bottom drain and fill the O/D with mercruiser O/D 80-90 wt gear oil using a small hand pump on top of the blottle, turning the prop by had a few times,
until oil starts to come out the vent hole; install the vent plug.

Now fill the oil resevior to the top with the gear oil--it will drop in level when you run it and the air escapes.

Service the trailer bearings and inspect the brakes if equipped."

The handle you speak of is a r

The handle you speak of is a retaining system for the blue hoses used to quik drain the system without having to open the drains petcocks that your system no longer has. After draining the system through those blue hoses pull the T handle and it will pull the hoses back into place and lock them to their plugs. This is the way it is supposed to work. It don't always happen. You must check to see if the hoses are seated and locked. I will usually lube the nipples with marine grease to keep things easy.

Back