Logo

Crusader 262 cid

M

Mark - USLHS

"A non-profit group that I wor

"A non-profit group that I work with was donated a 20ft center console with a 1992 Crusader 262 V6. We know very little about the boat.

The engine starts fine and idles smooth. It revs fine with no load, however when under load, as the boat is trying to climb on to plane (not sure what rpm as the tach does not work)it stumbles and begins to surge.

-I have checked the spark plugss, all look good.
-I have replaced the off-engine spin-on fuel filter.
-I have fed the engine out of a jerry jug with clean fuel.

What would you check next?"

"Mark,

Start with the basic

"Mark,

Start with the basics. Check the spark, check the compression. If the boat was donated, there is a good chance it has been sitting for a while before you got it. Check the other fuel filters, check the cap and rotor. Check all electrical connectors, check for proper operation of linkage, check the timing.

If you are going to be working on this guy to get it in shape you will want to get a good service manual. Do yourself a favor and check the compression first. There may be a good reason the guy was willing to give it away.

Good luck
Rick"

"Sounds like a weak accelerato

"Sounds like a weak accelerator pump.

It's amazing how little younger people know about carbs, having been weaned on fuel injected cars! Old geezers like me--most cars had manual steering when I was a kid!--know immediately what to do for a bad stumble like that.

Jeff"

Back