Logo

Upgrades for alpha drive

gaffney1951

"Any one know if any one makes

"Any one know if any one makes improved gear sets, bearings, ect. for alpha's? To handle around 350 H.P., or do you have to go to a bravo unit? Thanks, Mike"

"not sure i would do much more

"not sure i would do much more than add a drive shower. If you are prepared to spend the time and money to replace gears, etc, you might as well put the existing drive to the test and cross the "upgrade" bridge if you break things."

"Mike, Mercruiser used Alphas

"Mike, Mercruiser used Alphas on the 454 CID power plant (330HP) for a while. They worked OK for medium or light use. In other words, if you baby them, they can take it. If you "drop the hammer", you might spin the prop, or worse. My neighbor has twin 454/Alphas in a Scarab. He spun a few hubs, but had no other powerplant issues."

"Thanks for the input guys. Th

"Thanks for the input guys. This set up is in a 23' chris craft,cuddy cabin. I,am pulling the small block out to go through it as it has been sitting for six years on a carribean island. The boat has 300 hrs on it. From what I'am hearing, I think I'll stick to some mild head work, roller rockers, and a performance intake/carb and treat it nicely. It's a big ocean out there. Not the place to be tearing stuff up. Would still be interested in any alpha upgrade info. Mike"

I dropped a 383 cid 350hp stro

I dropped a 383 cid 350hp stroker in a customers 23 maxuum with alpha one and a drive shower. Told him to be nice to it. He beats it like a rented mule. No issues so far after one season.

Back