Logo

MD2B Broken Push Rod and Oil on Impeller shaft

T

tessera

"Hello; A couple of things: ca

"Hello; A couple of things: can I replace a broken push rod on the fwd cylinder of my 1972 MD2B myself? (I know I will need strong men to help me at some point! ;-)
I took valve cover off and aft pushrod of fwd cyl is simply gone, but no damage to valve cover or rocker arm that I can see...cannot see rod down below, have not yet "fished" for it but took digital pics, think I can see top of it. Is this a bad or very bad thing?! I am re-building bridgedeck of companionway anyways, so can get head off if I have to w/o taking engine out of boat, yet.
Secondly: checked water impeller and gave it a light tug and whole shaft came out, with ok impeller still attached, and looks like a small ring of light-colored oil around middle of shaft...could be a bad thing?
I got the 30' sailboat for very cheap, knowing engine "needs work", so no surprises here, but generally taking the board's motto "what exactly do I, or can I fix, myself?!" Not afraid to take apart things, and realize may have to take engine out of boat, but enjoying the process! ;-)
Thank you!
100 lb woman with tools that weigh more than her! ;-) But I can fit in small spaces, very handy! ;-)"

"No problems, providing You ha

"No problems, providing You have a manual at hand FIRST! You may have to remove the cylinders as well if the lifter needs to be replaced. In that case You would need around 1 ft free space on top of the engine to lift up the cylinder(s). Check heads and cylinders for corrosion before starting to order any parts, they are expencive!!!"

"Thanks for the reply. I have

"Thanks for the reply. I have indeed just ordered the manual, so that will help. I managed to pull out the broken push rod, and some broken bits that do not go with the rods (?!) likely the lifters? and the fwd. pushrod is bent. Aft cyl. pushrods not pulled yet, have to take rocker arms off to do, yes, due to cockpit restriction, only have about six inches clearance right now.(will be changed when I revise bridgedeck) I want to do most of engine work in boat, so need better access. And you are right, I want to check everything for corrosion before I buy any parts. I got the boat for real cheap, and have kept promise to myself not to spend anything on boat, just my hard work, and hey, a few tools that of course I needed, heh heh..."

You are right in the zone to b

You are right in the zone to be repowering this boat with a newer and more economical engine. The diesel mechanics I've talked to all think that the parts to fix your engine will cost as much or more as a newly rebuilt Yanmar or some such other engine. The volvo MDs are not looked upon as desireable collectors items. I've owned a couple of them. But I've never got so deep into one as you have. Good luck

Back