Logo

1988 Crusaders Difficulty Starting

jeff_fed

"In April 2005, I bought a 198

"In April 2005, I bought a 1988 29' Luhrs with twin 1988 350 crusaders @270hp. Over the past year I noticed that the engines have become harder and harder to start. Especially after not being started for a few weeks. When I turn the key it wants to turn over but doesnt. So I give it some gas and eventually the it turns over and starts. Onces started they run fine. If I have them started and then turn them off and back on they start easily. Could it be a starter problem? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help. Jeff"

What type distributor (poi

What type distributor (points or elcrtronic module)?

"Spark plug wires do that a lo

"Spark plug wires do that a lot when they are really old. On marine engines, high quality spark plug wires are good to have not only for quick starting but for added safety. I like to use high performance street legal sets ( Accel, MSD, Taylor ect.). Keep your distributor cap and rotor changed no more than 3 years. Good distributor caps and rotors will have brass rather than aluminium contacts."

"When you say "wants to tu

"When you say "wants to turn over, but doesn't" I'm assuming you mean it is not cranking properly.

Cold engines crank harder than warm engines and fully charged batteries work better than low batteries.

Check the battery condition, check the cable condition and if possible load test the system at the starter. This will identify insufficient amperage which is very possibly your cranking problem. Make sure you ground your tester directly to the starter, not the battery. This will show any bad ground connection which may be contributing to your problem.

Crank the motors over by hand prior to your next trip. It is possible that you have fuel or oil leaking down into your cylinders and creating a partial hydra-lock coindition.

If the load test shows sufficient amperage and the motor is not tight, replace the starters.

Rick"

Back