Logo

How can I tune it up if I donbt know what kind of engine it is

briang0

Regular Contributor
"I have a v8 engine in my 74 C

"I have a v8 engine in my 74 Chris Craft I know it is not orginal. It has on it Pacer Marine and says it's 280hp. I think it's a 409ci chevy. I want to buy tune up parts but don't know what to get. Knowing the gaps for the points and plugs would be nice, too. Anyone have any ideas?"

The distributor cap is held on

The distributor cap is held on by a spring clip on each side. There is no metal window to adjust the dwell angle and the rotor pushes down from the top. I don't see any vacum advance on the distributor. I took the casting numbers off the back of the block it looks like 3844422 which when I looked it up say its a 64 409ci chevy but the hp doesn't match what is on the valve cover which says 280 hp the suffix numbers on the passanger side front looks like t0419QB which matches the block number saying it's a 409 360 hp but the hp doesn't match at all.

I received the manual Thanks!!

I received the manual Thanks!!! I'm still a little confused about the tune up parts.

"Brian,

I can't tell wh

"Brian,

I can't tell what distributor you have from what you have supplied above.

I have a "1999" general engine parts catalog that shows some parts for Pacemaker engine:

Pacer 185, 190, 210, 220, 320, & Charger.
  • Distributor 1111161
  • Condenser RR 175 18-5344
  • Cap RR 2150 18-5384
  • Rotor RR 167R 18-5417
  • Service Coil IC 12 18-5433

Do those look like your parts? I don't know if these are correct or not, just trying to give you some help. I don't find much info on Pacer engines.

Also see some of the kits here."

"Hey,
I really appreciate all

"Hey,
I really appreciate all that you are doing. The distributor cap is not held down with screws or clips on the cap the spring clips are mounted on the distributor. The Rotor is push on and the center terminal is flat. I have been searching the internet to find a way to identify what type of distributor is in the engine. The autolite parts look similar except for the rotor the Mallory is the same type of cap. Thank you again for your help."

"If that's really a 409, y

"If that's really a 409, you have a real gem there! Love to see a pphoto.

Jeff"

"Brian,

If you have difficu

"Brian,

If you have difficutly posting the pictures you could email them to me and I will post them."

"If the vavve covers have a &#

"If the vavve covers have a 'W' shape, it's either a 409 or a 348. Please figure out how to post a photo! I'm dying to see this beauty.

Jeff

PS: That's why they are called "W motors"."

Sorry it's taking a while

Sorry it's taking a while the weather has been awful. We had several inches of rain and winds over 30mph. As soon as it calms down I'll get the picture taken and posted.

"Rotten weather at my slip as

"Rotten weather at my slip as well--the classic case of waiting a week too long before hauling out. Next year, good weather or not, we haul out October 1st!

Jeff"

"The boats out of the water [i

"The boats out of the water
I should have pictures to post over the weekend. The valve covers are in the shape of a W. I'm still trying to identify what kind of distributor it has so I can buy tune up parts. If anybody has any ideas that would be a great help. Any advice on winterizing? All my experience is with outboards not inboards."

"Well it's been a long tim

"Well it's been a long time coming but here they are. If anyone can tell me what type of distributor it has I would be forever greatful.

Brian
33410.jpg
top view"">
33411.jpg
side view"">
33412.jpg
"

Back