Logo

57L300 HP Engines Unused in 5 Years

jamesobregon

"I am looking at a 1998 Carver

"I am looking at a 1998 Carver 350 Mariner with 25 hours on Merc 5.7L engines.

The boat has been on blocks the last five years. The owners wants out. The boat is dirty and in need of a top to bottom scrub. It's been neglected.

If the boat was winterized properly, should the engines be okay?

Or should I expect major engine problems."

EFI?
If the engines were pu

EFI?
If the engines were put away correct the only problem will be old fuel.
On the other hand if they were just pulled and set on blocks you could have big problems if they were frozen or not serviced as needed for a long storage.

If this outfit is in a damp area be careful.
Check for free movement of all moving parts.
If this is twin 5.7's how did you come up with 300hp?
Good luck.

"EFI? Not sure. Not mentione

"EFI? Not sure. Not mentioned in the boat listing.

Not sure what the owner may have done when he pulled the boat from the water. Let's just say it has an abandoned look to her.

AS for fuel, the owners put the boat in the water a few months back, so I want to believe that the old fuel was replaced.

AS for HP, 300 HP is was is shown on the listing. I thought the HO would be closer to 260/270."

Well if the boat has been runn

Well if the boat has been running the in the last few months I'd think that most big concern's are gone. If the engines have been run then at this point just give the system a real good servicing. All of the oil needs changed if it has not been even the drive Power steering trim etc.
This way you know it's all fresh. Have all the bellows inspected the cables again etc.

As long as they run ok and you have no leaks in the cooling system you should be ok.

One other thing is both of the impellers should be replaced even if they are working.

I think that you are a little closer on the hp of the boat. Depending on the model each engine will have around 260 hp.

That's a fair amount of pony's. That boat must really get with it.

Best of luck with it.

The boat is fairly new but it

The boat is fairly new but it went unused for 5 years. "WHY" It was put in water a couple of months ago. "WHY" I would be very carefull and have the boat inspected by a trained proffessional. This sounds like an owner that wants to dump his problems. Most will tell you anything to unload the toad. Believe what you will and have the rest checked. Just keep asking "WHY" and BUYER BEWARE.

"I wouldn't touch that boa

"I wouldn't touch that boat without an extensive sea trial, and here's why:

First of all, those boats were gas hogs: slow, and thirsty. (That might be behind the owner's lack of interest?)

Secondly, letting an engine sit--properly winterized or not--for 5 years in a MARINE environment is not a good thing!

The bottom line: Hire a good surveyor, get a thorough engine evaluation, and take it on an extended sea trial.

Jeff"

"I've been traveling the l

"I've been traveling the last couple of days and have been no where near a PC.

I looked at the boat one more time on Wednesday. I've decided to pass on her. It's too risky. Your collective thoughst are sound. I have also been cautioned about corrosion in the engine, pitting, dried out rings etc.

There are better specimens of the 350. I'll locate one that's well taken care of.

Thanks for the guidance. You guys are great."

Back