Logo

Volvo MD2B temperature wanders

P

p. doherty

" A sea-water cooled MD2B, cir

" A sea-water cooled MD2B, circa 1976, has developed a tendency towards overheating. Thermostat replaced, water pump ok, sea-water filter clean. No water in engine oil yet. Engine starts and runs fine; temperature wanders within 1/2 hour under load. Diagnosis please? An acid bath to clean out water passages? Other ideas? "

"P. Doherty,
Have you tried t

"P. Doherty,
Have you tried to detirmine if there is a restriction of cooling water flow in the reduction gear? You may have to boil out the system.
Regards,
Gil Plumb
<!-Attachment: coolingnew.jpg"-!><CENTER><TABLE BORDER=1><TR><TD>
volvo cooling
coolingnew.jpg" (17 k)</TD></TR></TABLE></CENTER><!-/Attachment-!>"

" gil: this makes sense. what

" gil: this makes sense. what is Ondus 17 (spelling?) and is it generally available? thanks, p. doherty "

"P. Doherty,

The product is

"P. Doherty,

The product is Endox 117. I buy it in a 25lb pail. You should mix 3lbs per 5 gallon steel pail. Hook the sea suction up to the pail and return the overboard discharge back to the pail. Run the engine for about 10 or 15 minutes. It should get hot, but not excessively so.

Andrew posted the data sheet for Endox 117 here on the site.

Let us know how it works.

Regards,
Gil"

gil: thanks for the info. i w

gil: thanks for the info. i will let you know how it works.

I have just purchased an old

I have just purchased an old folkboat (1977 model) with a single cylinder diesel. The mechanic said it was either 7 or 8 horse power but did not know the model.The block is inclined to one side presumably to lower the overall height. I have not run the engine as I am told it is low on compression and over heating. The mechanic was able to start it using aerostart but I will remove it and overhaul it before I attempt to use it. Do you think it could be the same model as yours? Or does anyone have an idea as to what model it is? I have crawled around looking for model/engine number info but access is very tight.

Back