Logo

Perkins T63544M

kudley

"I have a 1984 36 ft aft cabin

"I have a 1984 36 ft aft cabin Sea Ray with twin T6.3544m Perkins with 1735 hrs each. I keep the boat at my home on the St. Johns river (salty end). I had it hauled and bottom cleaned June 06 and was returning it for a bottom paint, zinc's, etc. in last of August.
On my voyage to the Marina, I noticed I had unusual vibrations in my stern and no speed. I radioed to the marina mechanic that knows the boat well, and he placed the blame on barnacles. I elected to take a slow 1100 to 1500 rpm drive to the marina ( 10miles), when I noticed I was loosing power in my starboard engine. I could not synchronize both engines with out lowering the rpms on the port engine. I then saw black smoke followed by white smoke and I shut down both engines. The port shut down, but the starboard kept idling at 850 rpms.
The starboard engine shut off toggle switch made the starter engage even when I tripped the breaker switch and the ignition key......it kept running...When I opened the engine room deck hatch, I saw where the automatic fire extinguisher had gone off. I tried to cut off the engine at the fuel injection pump with no success. I had to unbolt the main battery cable in order to stop the engine from running.
I took a tow to the marina and had her hauled out. There was clusters of small clams on both raw water intakes suggesting a water blockage. There was a 5/8 crab trap line wrapped around my starboard, strut, shaft, and propeller.
Since the accident I have replaced all upper hoses to header tank, heat exchanger, water exhaust manifold and induction manifold. I have replaced the main harness that was cooked and all other gauge sending wires, as well as the fuses that melted.
My Borg Warner starboard transmission had broken clutch plates and several gears were fused to together of which I put in a rebuilt.
Now I have discovered that my starter blows a fuse under a load or after 5 starts, of which I am having rebuilt.
Last is the turbo charger which has black motor oil in it and is not blowing and is out for repairs but I have had to order another one from England as none are to be found in the USA.
The reason I am writing to you, is that I am having a marine mechanic do this repair work for me as he finds the time.
Can you give me your thoughts on what caused the problem and my prevention to another situation like this?
I have installed another but larger automatic fire extinguisher with a sender gauge to the bridge. I am trying to purchase a set of manual emergency shut off valves for the turbos.
I am going to install wet exhaust riser bands that will send an audible and visual warning to the bridge if the exhausts run over 1100 degrees.
I am going to install four fluorescent bilge lights with a camera eye that will show me the engine room fro the upper helm.
Summary: The port engine and its running gears check out fine. The Starboard engine seems to be running fine as we have not been able to put it under a sea trial yet until the turbo charger gets installed.
There were no blockages in the raw water filter baskets including the Airconditioners and the A/C Westerbeke power plant.
I would appreciate your comments:
You may email or phone me toll free anytime: 888-399-8838
Thank you very much.
David Kudley
Jacksonville, Florida"

Back