Logo

Should I buy a boat with a new murcruiser for salt water

elfman2

"I’m a first time boat buyer i

"I’m a first time boat buyer in Key Largo, and learning how i/o motors and salt water don’t mix.

There’s a 17’ bowrider on ebay with a 6 hour old 3.0 murcruiser for $4500, from a guy who’s in a must sell situation. He says that the new engine set him back $5300 and he has another 3k of things invested in the boat, including a rebuilt outdrive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK% 3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270043958515&rd=1,1

They guy’s on salt water and claims to have flushed the engine running for 20 minutes every time he has taken it out. What kind of life can I expect out of this engine if I do the same while taking it out for about 2 hours of run time every other week?

Will something like Saltaway make much difference at this point?

Or is there any kind of reasonably priced freshwater cooled option for a little boat like this, or is it too late.

Other than the salt issue, it’s perfect for my family and budget, but only if this can last 10 years without a rebuild.

Thanks,
Bill"

"Bill, Looks like a nice buy.

"Bill, Looks like a nice buy. Since you're only a couple hours away I would make the purchase contingent upon inspection and an in-water test ride.

Regarding the Mercruiser, you don't have a lot of options in a stearn drive boat. Mercruiser or Volvo. There are no guarantees that you will get ten years out of it. It depends on how well you maintain it. I've seen them last 30 years and I've seen them beat to death in 6 months.

It sounds like there may be some factory warranty left on the motor, which is a plus.

With some care and maintenance, you will get many years out of this package. Salt water doesn't have to be terminal.

Good luck
Rick"

I live on Marco Island and use

I live on Marco Island and use my boat soley in saltwater. I use saltaway on a regular basis on a recommendation from my mechanic with great results. Check the risers on a regular basis and any warrenty.

"Thanks Rick and Thomas. Afte

"Thanks Rick and Thomas. After reading your replies and some similar discussions on google, I see that salt water should not stop someone from buying an I/O boat if it's diligently flushed and treated after each exposure.

But after reading that I need a larger boat than this 17' * 6.5' bow rider around our reefs here in Key Largo, and rethinking how many unfinished projects I have, I need to pass on this one.

Thanks for the information,
Bill"

"..."Check the risers on a

"..."Check the risers on a regular basis"

Exactly how do you recommend doing this? (Seriously.) I use a laser temperature gun to monitor mine in operation, but any inspection requires removing parts for a visual inspection (unless someone knows of a trick method?)

Jeff"

Back